1953 chrysler new yorker engine color

Guest gregory b

Guest De Soto Frank
When restoring a 1953 hemi 331 what is the correct color. Easdtwood offers a hemi orange or a chrysler blue?

Those are for 1960's and later MoPar engines.

Keiser 31 has the right scheme.

"HEMI Orange" is what the 426-style Chrysler HEMI engines were painted, plus some of the later Hi-Perf wedge engines.

"Chrysler Blue" is what was used in the later 1960s after the use of "Chrysler Turquoise" was ended. I believe it was first used on the LA-block small blocks (i.e., 318/360) and later on some of the B/RB engines.

I concur, Keiser 31 sounds correct. Be sure to "close match" the shade of silver, though!

I needed some engine paint to paint a new oil pan for the '67 Chrysler (along about 1982) I'd bought in 1981. At that time, repro engine paint (other then the popular HEMI Orange) was "not there". I went to a local auto supply that also had car paint color chips. We matched "Desert Turquoise" (1967 era Dodge pickup truck color) via the paint chip to what was on the valve cover. He mixed me a quart of it in the spec acrylic enamel. I got a Preval spray bottle, with some enamel reducer, and mixed/sprayed the paint (after using Berryman's B-12 to wash it with, first--"brake cleaner" wasn't around at that time, either). Kind of a shade tree way of doing things, but it worked well. The color match was very accurate to what was on the motor, too!

IF you have a valve cover off that you could take to the paint shop and check their color chips from that era, you might find something they have a formula for and can mix. Or let them hand-match the color, if they don't have the computer software to do it.

As for the black items, I've found GM Goodwrench Engine Enamel Gloss Black Paint (GM part number 12345322--or what it used to be) to be an exact match in gloss for the anything under the hood that is black. I repainted an air cleaner for my '67 Chrysler with it and it was an exact match for gloss, so it's more of a "satin" than a hard, shiney black. I also sprayed some into a small glass jar (carefully and with finesse!!!) and used an artist's brush to do the a/c lines which were also black. Matches the black on the RV-2 a/c compressor, too. I believe that part number might still be active, although "Goodwrench" has been replaced with "Certified Service".

Also be aware that what some companies sell for OEM colors may not be entirely accurate for what the OEMs actually used! Case in point, "Chevrolet Blue", as in the 1980s "Chevrolet Blue". What Krylon sold for that color was just a few shades lighter than their "Ford Blue" (which was reasonably accurate for what Ford used). Similarly, what they sold for "Chrysler Blue" was not accurate, either. Why??? They didn't want to pay license fees to exactly match it, so I'm told. Rather than being an exact match, they are (at best) close matches. I know there's one company that sells repro engine paints for many vehicles, but I'm not sure just how close they are to reality. What this means is that the only correct OEM engine paint colors will either be hand-matched at the paint shop or purchased from the OEMs themselves (through either their respective high-performance/restoration programs or normal chemical catalogs).

Regards,

NTX5467

Guest De Soto Frank

I won't swear my life upon it, but I believe the correct shade of silver is the same as was used on the Chrysler Corp. flathead sixes & eights from the 1930's through the 1950's.