'24 DB leaky transmission

Steve Suttle

It's me again. Thanks for all past kind help!

After our discussions here on lubrication, I drained the transmission and differential, flushed each three times with solvent until they ran clear (you should have seen the transmission - something's been living in there I think) and refilled to the proper levels with the 600W the Ford guys use. Anyway, the heavier oil did not cure the leak. In fact it's pretty much the same.

So, I believe the real culprit is the "cork oil retainer" mentioned in the shop manual. It seems that the oil is actually running down the torque tube and that the rear axle itself doesn't actually leak.

I checked Romar and Myers sites and didn't find a creature called a "cork oil retainer". Where can a get a set of transmission seals and how do I replace them?

Thanks

If the parts store route doesn't work for getting bearings, Olcar Bearing Company in NC has always provided excellent service to me at a reasonable price. Knows his stuff and has lots of bearings in stock. Doesn't have a web site--tel. 910-693-3324.

Well, I won't have any trouble looking pitiful - all covered with grease and with skinned knuckles from yanking the transmission!

HOWEVER, if anyone happens to know the part numbers I need, please pass it on. If not, I'll be the guy on the floor with the transmission laying on my chest.

Before you have to go the pitiful way, you might try Olcar. I gather he has lots of indexes and cross-references for all kinds of vehicles.

(P.S. I'm not a paid advertiser :D. But I do want to pass on information about parts suppliers that I think provide a superior service and are trustworthy. He has even sent me parts before receiving payment--said pay when I get it.)

Edited by 36chev (see edit history)