1940-1948 Zephyr and Continental question

X-Frame

Does anyone have a good clear photograph either during a restoration or otherwise of the 1940-1948 Lincoln Zephyr and/or Continental Convertible/Cabriolet chassis?

I know these were very solid "unit built" bodies with welded frames but from one small and weak photo I have seen of a body on a rotisserie, the X member was tacked on and not part of the floorboard as with the rest of the perimeter - is that correct? And was the Zephyr convertible and larger Continental use the same chassis-frame structure?

Many Thanks!

Eric

this might help...I dont have a clue if the zephyr and continental frames are alike or not. The X part of the frame stands alone with 4 wooden blocks between it and the floorboards, but the floor is not welded to this frame member. The blocks are held in place by wood screws.

post-55048-143138696043_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138696046_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138696049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom Overfield (see edit history)

These are great Tom. So, are you saying these wooden blocks factory? Seems odd they would use wood in these cars. But are the ends of the X welded to the side rails of the main frame or are you saying the whole X unit is wood screwed in?

Thanks again!

Eric

this might help...I dont have a clue if the zephyr and continental frames are alike or not. The X part of the frame stands

alone with 4 wooden blocks between it and the floorboards, but the floor is not welded to this frame member. The blocks are held in place by wood screws.

The parts manual shows the same X cross member was used in both the Continentals and the Zephyr convertible. Wood was commonly used for load bearing spacers in those days. They used wood for other items as well...the dome light mount and the trunk floor in the Zephyrs for example.

Thanks guys. Tom, I see that yours is a 1941 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet. I was thinking it was a Zephyr Convertible when I saw it.

I too had an opportunity once with a 1936 Ford 2-door that had a rare roofline. A woman wanted her garage it was sitting in torn down and to do so I could have the car along with all parts (both engines) from where her husband started to do a common Oldsmobile Rocket 88 engine conversion back in 1957, when he died and it sat since. But I was still in High School, my stepfather wouldn't let me store it, and so I lost the opportunity. It wasn't the first he let rare car opportunities slip out of my hands. (1957 Cadillac Coupe de Ville just fixed transmission for $100 , 1957 T-Bird with all parts for only $2k, etc...) :(

Eric

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

For those who may be able to use this from one of my Motors books and assuming that the pre war models can also benefit? Here is the frame dimension chart (reduced to 25% of original) for the 1946-1948 Lincoln Convertible (ex Zephyr) and the Continental Cabriolet. In this case though you can see that the X braces are different sizes. May have been the same pre war?

Eric

post-68778-143138697263_thumb.jpg

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

May want to check great guy from VA that restored 2 beautiful 40 Cont Coupes (David Roycroft-dir in Lincoln Foundation?). And David Cole (our TWOTZ editor who tracks every Cont made) if ur still interested in more details. Both in membership directory. I was listening to a conversation in Charlotte at Lowes field with both of them talk about the X-frames, aside Mark's (forget his alias-is it fran?) very original stunning blue 40 Cabriolet. Could be wrong, but thought they said the X-Frame design changed in the middle of the model year, I think they said the beefed up frame was on all long wheelbases & convertibles at first, then 1/3 the way thru the model year, the coupes were made on the standard frame and only the Cabriolets got the added strength of the x-bracing (can't remember about the Zeph convert-what do ya say Jeff?). They even knew the exact veh nos where the frame changed from x-brace to no x-brace. (interesting history- Ah, to be a mole in those old Lincoln engineering meetings!). The windows crank position changed mid year as well, so less interference with knee; inside hood insulation line differences, ......wish I had half their memories for all the details they know.

post-45349-143138698069_thumb.jpg

post-45349-143138698071_thumb.jpg