1925 model 25 clutch adjustment.

dibarlaw

I will be inspecting and driving a 1925 model 25 this saturday. From the pictures I was sent it looks like a well taken care of older restoration. The only

problem stated was that the clutch needed adjusted. The gentelman selling the car sent this.

"I feel that is all that is needed for the clutch. If you start the car in neutral, you then have trouble putting it in gear. If you start the car in gear , it will grab and move and shifting is not an issue. .

The car drives quite nicely."

I have checked my"BUICK technical tips" book and there is nothing on what symptoms require clutch adjustment. Just on rebuilding. I know that if I get this car I would get a shop manual to help with my own maintainence. But I would like to know what I might be getting into.

Larry

I agree with John and add that you should never be in a hurry to shift... From first to second, the car should only move 10-15 feet... and, try pushing in the clutch for a 2 or 3 count before moving the shift lever.....: this gives the gears time to slow down to mesh with the next gear.

Also, leave it in gear and just push in the clutch when stopping. Then, shift into first after a complete stop. This works to align the gears for the down shift.

Mark :

Thanks for the advice. I did as you recomended and it shifted fine when I test drove it on saturday. But clutch engagement was pretty far out. The next problem was that it overheated within 15 min on a 55deg. day. It had not been started or moved since March.

Larry

Larry,

Before you blame the radiator, check your timing... You may be running with a retarded spark & that will cause overheating. Also check the coolant to see if it has bubbles or foam. If so, you may have a soft hose on the suction side of the pump that may collapse when running.