1947 Packard Super Custom Club sedan at 2011 Mecum Auction

dep5

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wtppackard

There seems to be something wrong with this Packard if it is claimed to be a Custom Super Eight. First, it doesn't have the cloisonne emblems on the hub caps, and second, the Custom didn't have the Clipper name badge on the door. If it is a Super Clipper, model 2103, it would have Super Clipper name badges on both sides, not just Clipper. The previous poster is correct, model number is everything on these cars, if it isn't a 2106 it isn't a Custom Super.

I think it's interesting that the car was only referenced as a 2 door Clipper sedan with a 356 engine. No reference anywhere to 'Super' or 'Custom'. It was also billed as having an Electromatic Clutch... I don't see any evidence of one. The engine is definitely a 356 with the Carter Carburetor Carstarter switch bypassed and what looks like a starter button installed through the dash. The dead white steering wheel should be ivory (I think) and it does seem very odd that with the amount of money obviously spent, they didn't spring for the cloisonne medallions. A very nice looking car but I would be suspicious. I would want to see the dataplate on that one.

Going by memory because I don't have my references handy, there was a 6cyl Clipper, a Clipper Deluxe (or Custom?) with the small 8, a Super Clipper (or Clipper Super depending an what side of the car you look at) with the 356 and all of the other mechanical ammenities, and the Custom Super Clipper which was the top of the line. The Custom Super had all of the mechanical features of the Super with some things like the vacuumatic clutch and OD as standard equipment. But, it's that interior in the Custom Super that makes it so special. The back of the front seat looks almost like Roman columns, the headliner is seamed from front to rear adding to an already sumptuous rear seating area, the rear seat looks like grandma's forbidden sofa, and several other features that just scream exclusivity. The Custom Super Club Sedan (fastback 2dr) is among the most coveted and most expensive of the model. In my opinion, a sterling example of such is worth $65K+ if it's right.

Guest wtppackard

Note that this Packard doesn't appear to have the door pulls on the lower window frame that was standard on the Custom, nor does it seem to have an electromatic clutch; the under the hood elements should be visable and, if restored correctly, a red clutch pedal. As JD inKC points out it shouldn't have a starter button on the dash, the starter button is under the gas pedal, and the steering wheel appears to have been painted as they should be cast ivory. The ID tag has me confused; my '47 tag read 2106-2125, a Custom Super Eight-Club Sedan.

The restoration of this car is less than exceptional. Click on the body tag picture and then expand it. Nice slotted oval screws, paint right over pitted sheet metal, the engine shots show missing horns and runs in the air cleaner. The numbers are a head scratcher. "2345"? Really? And who delivered it? True enough, I can't exactly see the door pulls either. The lower door/kick panel stainless is there. I may have to go to storage and look at my tag and some of the other things. I do know that my auto clutch plumbing is missing and lots of guys over the years simply pitched it rather than kept it working right. Even so, at least put it on there for looks if you can't make it work (they can be fussy I'm told). It brought all the $$$$ and then some for what I see. In concours condition it could push twice that. This isn't.

Note that this Packard doesn't appear to have the door pulls on the lower window frame that was standard on the Custom, nor does it seem to have an electromatic clutch; the under the hood elements should be visable and, if restored correctly, a red clutch pedal. As JD inKC points out it shouldn't have a starter button on the dash, the starter button is under the gas pedal, and the steering wheel appears to have been painted as they should be cast ivory. The ID tag has me confused; my '47 tag read 2106-2125, a Custom Super Eight-Club Sedan.

I added a photo that does show door pulls. As for the tag on your car with series-model instead of model-car#, is it an original tag or a new one? Maybe you could post a photo of yours to clarify.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wtppackard

I believe that you are refering to the drivers side hood latch knob, the vent is in the middle under the dash on this car, and you are correct, it is too white. Like the steering wheel it appears to have been painted.

Curious as to why you think the ID tag is wrong????

Your tag, if it actually reads 2106-2125, is the one that does not make sense . . .

Guest wtppackard

Upon reflection you are correct about the ID tag; I guess that at my age I shouldn't trust my memory. I looked for a photo of my Club Sedan's ID tag, but, of course, couldn't find it. Still, while the hub caps could have easily been replaced, I cannot understand the Clipper nameplates on the doors; on the senior Clippers they only appeared on the 2103 series, and then as "Super Clipper", not "Clipper" alone. Oh well.

I share your concerns. I would like to own a 1947 Super Custom Club sedan and I am trying to learn all I can. It looks like the subject car might be genuine but was restored by a rank amateur. The wrong hubcaps are somewhat understandable/forgivable along with some other wrong details but the Clipper name plates are truly puzzling, maybe someone actually added them thinking they are correct.

Guest wtppackard

One possibility is that someone had a rusty, unrestorable 2106 Club Sedan and used a junior Club Sedan body on their senior chassis. That is what I considered doing with mine, and might explain the "Clipper" emblems on the doors ( a Clipper six only said "Clipper" on the doors!). My car sat in a Minnesota junk yard for 50 years, was totally original and complete. I sourced rust free senior front fenders and planned to use a rust free junior body. A major project that, given current values, would have been smart. It became one project too many for me, so I sold it. But in thinking about this car that is one answer.

Guest wtppackard

It is correct that one way to tell if a pre-war 160 or 180 has been converted from a 120 is that the senior bodies had crank vent windows, junior models did not. With Clippers, however, this is not the case. No Clipper from '41 to '47, as well as '48 through '50 22nd and 23rd series Packards, had crank vent windows; all were the push-out type.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kingsley

From a member of the Reatta Division Club -

I stray from the Reatta section every once in a while and noticed the reference to "Cloisonne" (will have to double check spelling). The Reatta hub cap centers have his pattern surrounding a Reatta "R" in the center. Is this something used by Buick or GM fairly routine? I do replications such as the Reatta sun visor clip and the headlight motor crank arms and would like to consider this Reatta hub cap "cloisonne" cener.

Any info?

Also have a ''90 Skylark manual, good condition, free for the shipping but realize I am not in the proper forum for this and perhaps my initial post. Right church but the wrong pew!