DUAL IGNITION SYSTEM ON 1948 TRUCK ANYONE ..ANYONE

Mssr. Bwatoe

hi gang, no not LZ or even Fmc...but I though someone might educate me..

I am helping a friend with a 48 Buffalo Pumper, looks like a Diamond T chassis?? Has in inline big six and conventional distributor and coil..fires one set of plugs..then a magneto looking device driven off the engine waterpump shaft with another set of wires ..Back up?? system..I dont understand the point.. The engine looks conventional with a front mounted chain drive generator/ starter unit like an early brass car..also has provision for crank!

sorry no pic yet...

hey Peech!!

That is very good stuff fellas...I tip my hat, raise a glass etc.... thanks for the info..

I have always been intrigued with American ingenuity, and I love the challenge to understand and master the old technology....I am told that Ford Model T could run on batt or magneto as well, just never both at same time...

Thanks again..by the way if anyone is a fire truck fan, this Buffalo dual cabin pumper is the very last Buffalo built, and was originally used in my home town of Sylvania Ohio...It has survived by limited use at the Hunt Wesson plant, but has fallen victim to outdoor storage and time.......It is huge..makes that 138" wheel base Lincoln Custom look like a mini!!!