HELP 1962 Olds 394 Oil leak

Guest garyd57olds

Guest garyd57olds

I am having trouble finding an oil leak on my 1962 Olds 394 engine.

Since taking valve covers off and valley pan I have created a leak that I cannot find.

I do not have access to lift. I did replace the valley pan gasket with a rubber

gasket. Also valve cover gaskets were replaced with rubber gaskets.

I do smell oil burning after driving the car for long time. I just put the manifold

back on and its running fine, I really do not want to take off the manifold again. I have done 3 times with no success.

Are these 394 engines prone to have leakey valle pan gaskets. Any help

would be appeciated.. I want to take the car to Hershey.

Gary :(

Guest rsd9699

On my 62 starfire - I used a dual PVC setup to help remove the pressure of the higher mileage on the engine.

After a run while the engine is hot and smoking and on a cool day - crawl into the engine compartment with flash light and mirror - I bet you will find it in 10 minutes. Look at only the parts you disturbed.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...
Guest garyd57olds

I think I may have found the leak on my engine. The fuel pump had alot of fresh oil on it. So took it off found that the gasket to the block was shot.

So I replaced the gasket and I am going to run the car today see if that did

the job. Before this I replaced the timing cover crank seal thinking thats where I saw some oil... Oh well at least I found it. Thanks to all of you for your help. My 1962 Olds 88 Conv will be at space G75 in the corral. I wil be driving it from Connecticut, A very nice car. :)

Guest garyd57olds

Well.. I still have a leak. Still saw oil around the fuel pump. Talked to a few people looking at the engine. They said hat the fuel pump could be spraying fuel back in the engine causing the rear main to leak. Oil spots on the ground look sort of shiny and very thin.

I am going to put a new rebuilt fuel pump in and change the oil and filter.

Also may add some Lucas stop leak oil in to help the seals.

Any help would be appreciated.. Need to drive this car to Hershey.

203-070-5248 Cell...Thanks Gary :)

Guest rsd9699

If there is gas in the oil via a bad pump, check the oil level - generally it is overfull, smell the oil on the dip stick - it will smell of gas, feel the oil on the dip stick - is it to too thin or evapators quickly - then gas in the oil.

Have you checked that the oil is not coming from the corner of the head and intake? Bad gasket on timing case cover or valve cover gasket. If you have had the valve covers off, are the oil return ports clean and did you smooth out the valve covers where the retaining bolts go?

Power steering pump not leaking or slinging oil?

Finally - oil travels downwards so check anything above the fuel pump. Will the fuel pump hold 5 to 7 pounds steady? Are the bolts around the pump case tight and not stripped?

Ron

I just rebuilt my fuel pump 1961 Olds pump # 6585. Parts are available at Then and Now.com,

If the lower shaft seal (fuel) is worn the pump will push oil out of the breather holes. They are inside the little square hole away from the block.

The vacuum diaphragm in mine was shot, sucking oil into the vacuum line to the heater controls.

Some times there is a small fiber filter stuffed in the hole to keep dirt from getting into the breather holes.See if that is where its coming from. The fan will spread it everywhere.

Dave