1931 Chrysler Clutch Adjustment

Guest Executivekev

Guest Executivekev

Hello Everyone,

I am just finishing the restoration of a 1931 Chrysler Roadster. Upon driving there is slight grinding of the gears on upshifting. Is this common and you have have to double clutch or is there adjustment on the clutch? Thankyou kevin.

Guest De Soto Frank

As Keiser 31 mentioned, you probably have to double-clutch and take your time while shifting... don't believe Chrysler Corp. got synchronized transmissions until 1932...

Probably much like driving a Model A Ford, if you have any experience with them.

As Keiser 31 mentioned, you probably have to double-clutch and take your time while shifting... don't believe Chrysler Corp. got synchronized transmissions until 1932...

Probably much like driving a Model A Ford, if you have any experience with them.

Actually, some Chrysler products had synchro transmissions in late 1931.

Actually, some Chrysler products had synchro transmissions in late 1931.

Plymouth did not get synchromesh until 1935. They had an in between in 1933/34 with sliding dog clutches which is probably better that shifting straight cut gears but you still need to up shift at low speeds with a little pause in neutral and you definitely need to double clutch on downshifting.

At least one make had both synchronized and non-synchronized in the same the year. Standard model 1936 Chevrolet was non-synchronized and the Master was synchronized. Part of the cost differentiation between models.

I kind of like the challenge of double clutching/matching engine speed. And a simpler and much smaller transmission than the synchronized counterpart.

Guest jimstulga

I have a '30 Chrysler 6 business coupe and my gears grind too if I'm not careful. I either double clutch or have learned to wait just long enough before engaging. When I first got the car, it took a long time to master my shifting. The trickiest for me is down shifting from third to second. Getting to know your car will be the key. Had a Model A Ford years ago and the non-syncro shifting was much easier to use on that car, but all the other features on the Chrysler make it the car I prefer. Jim