PORCELANIZED EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

Terry Wiegand

Reminds me of the story I heard, don't remember where, restoration of a high end Classic car, restorer sent exhaust manifold to have porcelained (porcelainized??). Fellow decided he'd clean up a few casting marks and burrs on the exhaust manifold, as he was grinding away, all of a sudden the manifold cracked into pieces.

The casting process, and later heat/cool cycles of the manifold, had set up a surface tension on the casting, and when he disturbed that tension it cracked......

The manifold that I am considering coating is 95 years old. During that time it has gone through umteen thousand heat and cool cycles and I would be the first to consider it a 'well seasoned' casting. If Mr. Shaw will get the name of this place

for us, I will call and we can discuss the situation with them. C'mon DurcoDude, you got a dollar waitin' on a dime.

Terry Wiegand

terrywiegand@prodigy.net

• 2 weeks later...

Caps does good work and will make a jig to hold the manifold in place so they dont warp.

They use to charge by the weight of the manifold, dont know if they still do or not.

Terry, you wouldnt happen to be related to the Weigand company that makes scope rings and mounts? I have a set on one of my my S&W 500s. Looking for a mount for my Sig Trailside.

Thanks to Mark Shaw (aka Durco Dude) for turning me on to Finish Line Coatings in Milwaukie, Oregon. Their facility is about 3 miles from our oldest daughter. I'm going to send the manifold to her and have her take care of getting it to them. Had a very informative visit with the customer service lady and got educated about exhaust component coating. The manifold will not be covered with porcelain. It will be ceramic coated and will last forever with this process. It was explained that this type of coating will cut down on under-the-hood heat. The price seems to be very reasonable also.

In regard to the fellow asking if I was related to the firearms product company - NO, I'm not related to them. Please check the way you spelled the name of that company. I believe you had it as 'WEIGAND'. Ours is WIEGAND. There is a huge real estate company in Wichita, Kansas (the largest in the state of Kansas) by the name of J. P. WEIGAND & CO. and I am constantly asked if I am any relation to them. Afraid not. I met the grandson of the founder when he ran for Governor a few years back and I told him I'd be willing to trade checkbooks with him. Said he couldn't do that. I said I couldn't vote for him either - he was of the 'wrong' party.