65' RIV AIR VENT PROBLEM

V10

I have noticed no airflow from any of the vents. Vents

are in open position , nothing from center as well . A/C compressor works

noticed tubes started to freeze over in engine bay after a short drive wondering why no air flow into cabin . Could this be vacuum related ? I noticed the trunk T bar release in glovebox also does not work and read something about a vacuum cannister .

Edited by V10 (see edit history)

Guest Kahuna28

I doubt it's a vacuum if your getting no airflow. Check the fan. There is a fuse (fuse-box) and a blower motor relay mounted on the inside pass fender near the fan (engine bay).

There is a vacuum canister near the top of the firewall on the pass side which controls the AC door and directs air flow past the evap core and out the upper vents. You can operate the pivot by hand to direct the air flow out the upper vents. Check to see if the vacuum hose has cracked at the nipple of the canister. As a matter of fact, go thru every vacuum connection and cut off the end of each hose until you cut back to the original diameter. Any vacuum leaks in the system will rob the ability of the controls to operate all the diaphrams, not just one.

If the canister is bad you can block the lever which it acts on with a small wooden block, large nut, etc...until you replace the canister. At least you will have AC until then. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

I have noticed no airflow from any of the vents. Vents

are in open position , nothing from center as well . A/C compressor works

noticed tubes started to freeze over in engine bay after a short drive wondering why no air flow into cabin . Could this be vacuum related ? I noticed the trunk T bar release in glovebox also does not work and read something about a vacuum cannister .

With the fan on High, see if you are not getting air out on the floor. It does not pass through the A/C system, but at least you would them know that air is in fact making it inside the car.

Once you confirm air is in fact moving, Tom is correct, you can operate the little lever under the hood to manually redirect air through the A/C and out at the dash. As Tom says, block it open with a small piece of wood as a temporary solution.

Thanks gentlemen for the replies, Tom I will try that out . I also found out there was a crack in the cannister and previous owner tried to repair with epoxy . Is this Vaccum Cannister readily available anywhere or is there a better solution to repair it other than epoxy ?

On many later model vacuum-operated a/c systems, the "default mode" for when the system loses its vacuum is for the air to only come out the defroster and floor heater air vents, even if the system is on "A/C".

I wonder if the "cannister" referenced is really a "vacuum actuator" instead? Typically, the "cannister" or "reservoir" is where the main vacuum source for the hvac system attaches, and is then routed to the hvac controler on the instrument panel (or also to the ComforTron control mechanism under the instrument panel--if equipped).

Snipping the ends of the vacuum hoses, at their attachment points, can be a good idea. With age, the hose will take a set to whatever it's slid over, then shrink with age, and can possibly split or become loose as a result.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

We may be having a communication breakdown. Here is a picture of the vacuum actuator that puts air out on the floor (no vacuum applied), half on floor, half out dash (vacuum applied to outer nipple only) or out of the dash only (vacuum applied to both center nipple and outer nipple):

VD235905bf.jpg

The vacuum storage canister mentioned looks like a black plastic or metal can with a nipple or two on it but no metal actuator to get pulled in.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rbarnett614

Old Air Products in ft. Worth, TX has the vacuum assembly in your picture. Make sure you get the one with the two connectors on the front side.