overheating

Guest Premier

Guest Premier

i Just bought a 1952 Buick special. Straight 8.

Engine Keeps over heating, just sitting

New thermostat

new plugs, wires, and roter

Can anyone help?

Guest shadetree77

I own a 52 Special as well. Few things I would check:

1.Leaks-I know this is an obvious one but you never know. Make sure you check all the heater hoses that run to the heater under the passenger seat as well as to the heater core in the passenger firewall air duct tube. Also check the heater valve under the dash. If your heater valve is messed up it could be stuck on and routing antifreeze to your heater cores and leaking somewhere.

2.Thermostat put in upside down-I've done this a few times myself. If it's not in there the right way it won't work. Did you use a 160 degree thermostat? I believe the manual calls for 150 degree for summer driving but I think the closest you can get to that is the 160.

3.Radiator Cap-Make sure your system is pressurized. If the cap is faulty it won't let sufficient pressure build up in the system.

If all else fails, you might have to pull the radiator and take it to a shop to get it checked and possibly re-cored which can get pricey! Matter of fact I was just reading another thread on here where they are talking about that. Here's a link to it. http://forums.aaca.org/f162/radiator-woes-310469.html Good luck!

If car has been sitting for years, or if an old lady owned it and rarely drove it, they are notorious for not flushing out the cooling system every year or two like the owner's manual says to do. It is probably full of gunk and rust and everything else. Drain and back-flush the entire system. Then buy a can of radiator CLEANER--not radiator fast flush--radiator CLEANER. Strong stuff. But it only works if the entire cooling system is first completely drained of all anti-freeze, and I mean ALL of it. If you don't get ALL of the anti-freeze out, they will not warranty this product to work.

I'm going to have to do exactly this for my '59 Buick Electra, as it keeps overheating lately.

The other alternative is to replace the radiator, i.e., have it re-cored, to the tune of $500 or more.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Guest NikeAjax

Another thing you can try is with the motor cold, pull the radiator cap, then start the car, look for any bubbles: they would indicate a hole somewhere!

Jaybird

Also check your timing and integrity of your vacuum system. Vacuum leaks in the wipers will impact your timing. Since you are overheating without driving the car I would pull the main vacuum hose to your wipers and stick a golf tee in it to plug it and then test the overheating situation.

Keep checking the 'radiator woes' thread.

Is it actually overheating as in boiling over? If not and it is just the temperature gauge showing hot be advised that those old gauges will show hot at just 200°. It will need to get much hotter to boil over if you have a working pressure cap. If available check the engine and radiator temperature with an infrared thermometer.

Willie