'89 Vert?

KDirk

I was perusing the 2011 BCA membership roster that was recently sent and noticed in the listing by vehicle type that there is one lone 1989 EC67 convertible listed as owned by a BCA member. Out of respect for their privacy I will not publish the name or location given in the book, but I was wondering if this individual owns a prototype that made it out of GM in one piece?

I imagine that in order for this to be a legit 1989 convertible it would have to be a prototype with a 1989 VIN, rather than a 1990 with transplanted interior. Or, is it just a misprint?

Anybody know or care to comment?

KDirk

Suspect is a typo. My 'verts all have 4EC97 on the SPI sticker. I have seen the 67 on paperwork but suspect the 'verts all started out as coupes and were shipped to ASC for conversion. That is why you look for a "3" instead of a "1" in the VIN. The parts book lists the model as "EC97 with YP8".

Guest tempest6cyl

The only Reatta 'verts made into coupes were the very early development vehicles. I remember the first silver ride mule started it's life as an early coupe prototype. The next phase of development convertibles, once we had the basic structure planned, was made by inserting the internal convertible parts into coupes at the Craft Centre during off hour, special builds. These coupes would finish through the plant and then ship to ASC where the conversion would be completed. For the later phases of prototype and production a Reatta's future was known by the second or third fixture in underbody and it rolled out of the Craft Centre as a finished coupe or convertible.