olds fiesta runs poorly?!

Guest fiesta53

Guest fiesta53

Please help!

I just got my 53 fiesta back from the trans shop, having had some adjustments done to the trans. there is the problem of not downshifting into passing gear and not running at highway speeds.(60 mph downhill with a stiff tailwind- and thats it) the mechanic said all the adjustments are dead on, and that the engine is out of tune. i have all new ignition parts cap, rotor, wires,plugs, and points, along with a rebuilt carb. Am i missing anything?

Guest fiesta53

timing is on the mark-the only thing i don't think i replaced was the condenser but i'm pretty sure it's okay- i just wonder if i'm missing something obvious.

Failure to downshift indicates a transmission issue to me. Was it downshifting before the adjustments were made? It shifts thru the four ranges OK? No feel of slipping?

Lack of high speed performance can also trace to a plugged fuel filter or a plugged or restricted exhaust. That car should have no trouble reaching 75mph+ speeds quickly.

Guest fiesta53
plugged or restricted exhaust. How is the heat riser valve..might be stuck closed.. like mine was..

thanks for the suggestions. now i have somewhere to start- i also thought i would check the vacuum advance and the advance weights. it falls flat on it's face after half throttle. thanks again guys!