Reman Olds 215

Is there any companies that offer a remanufactured 1962 Olds 215. I am looking for one

D&D Fabrications specializes in the 215. They don't sell "crate" motors but will build one to your needs. Note that the Olds and Buick 215s have internal differences.

Guest mortsciguy

You might also check with Jasper Engines and Transmissions. 800-827-7455. I doubt they have it on exchange, but might do it on a custom basis.

Kelly

You might also check with Jasper Engines and Transmissions. 800-827-7455. I doubt they have it on exchange, but might do it on a custom basis.

Kelly

If they DO, then you have to ask yourself, do you want your obsolete motor built by a company who normally mass-rebuilds small block Chevys, or a motor built by someone who specializes in this particular motor and supplies the correct parts? And yes, I suspect you CAN get a Rover 215 from Jasper. Is that what you really want? There ARE differences between the Rover/Buick and Olds 215s.

Jasper did not have the engine. I called D&D this morning. The guy on the other end mumbled. I asked "Is this D&D?" The jackwagon at D&D said, "That's what I said". I told him that I was sorry that I bothered him. There are a couple of companies that offer 215 Buick but not the Olds. They are very expensive. I may consider a different sized engine.

Do you really need an engine? I thought we were dealing with an oil pump. Did it do that much damage in that short a period of time? If you really do need an engine, I know a guy that has one in his garage. I think he'd like it to find another home.

Paul

Jasper did not have the engine. I called D&D this morning. The guy on the other end mumbled. I asked "Is this D&D?" The jackwagon at D&D said, "That's what I said". I told him that I was sorry that I bothered him. There are a couple of companies that offer 215 Buick but not the Olds. They are very expensive. I may consider a different sized engine.

That's not an uncommon reaction. The D&D guys are very "lean" and are thus spread pretty thin. Unfortunately, they are the experts on the 215. Except for a later Rover motor, there are no different sized engines that bolt in. Yes. folks have swapped Chevy motors into these cars. This is not a trivial swap. For starters, the trans tunnel in the 61-63 cars is very small. The more common GM transmissions do not fit without cutting and welding changes to the tunnel. The stock trans only bolts to the 215/Rover block.

The Rover swap is an interesting one (and one I am planning for my own F-85). The Rover block is externally identical to the GM 215, so even the trans bolts up. Later Rover motors have increased displacement (4.0 and 4.6 liters). The 215 carb intake bolts up to the Rover long block if you don't want to mess with EFI. The later Rover motors do not use a distributor, but you can swap the front cover and add a distributor drive gear to the later motors. Or, get an earlier 3.9 liter Rover that already has the distributor.

The Rover motor does use the Buick style heads, so optically it looks different from an Olds 215. I plan to adapt the Olds heads to the Rover block (not a trivial task) so it looks correct.

Do you really need an engine? I thought we were dealing with an oil pump. Did it do that much damage in that short a period of time? If you really do need an engine, I know a guy that has one in his garage. I think he'd like it to find another home.

Paul

Unfortunately- There was chunks brass, brass filings, and a lifter retaining ring in the oil pan. The oil pump did fail and there is other damage. It could be a cam bearing. I will not know until I dig deeper.

• 2 weeks later...