1957 seat cushions

Vintage_barry

I was quoted a price of $2k to recover the front and back seats, not including door panels, for my 57 Buick Special 2dr.. The current seats covers aren't terrible but the foam is shot, is there a chevy seat foam that I can use or should I just suck it up and pay? My car is going to be a driver for the time being and the project is getting a little out of hand(surprise!). Any suggestions, Barry

Guest shorty7

$2000. for the seats sound a bit high depending on what you are using for material, I would get some more bids! Where are you located?

Guest Kingoftheroad
$2000. for the seats sound a bit high depending on what you are using for material, I would get some more bids! Where are you located?

Ditto....

If you are venturesome, you might take one seat apart and see how it's constructed, then shop at a quality fabric store for the foam. When I took my 69 GS seat apart I found a layer of waxed burlap against the springs. I have not found a vendor for this although I'm certain they exist.

Then I found a layer of cotton batting. I bought a roll of this from a local wholesale upholstery company for $12.00 a few years ago. There is enough to do like 20 cars and a few sofas on the roll.

Then there was a one inch piece of foam rubber on top of that. This can be bought at most any fabric or hobby store.

Guest 38cadillacjack

your buick foam was latex orig.,but the factory burned in 72 ,ithink it was.as was mentioned all cars can be and are replaced with sheet stock.known in the trade as topper pads.they are available from most trim shops,just be sure to get good ones,not standard poly,the burlap is also avail.but i havent seen waxed as you called it.i much prefer a better sbstrate,such as heavy body cloth over the springs. i just finished a 53 buick for a customr.thoe were about 1300.been doing this for all of 47 years,and have seen prices that vary by location.so yours may be about right.remember quality costs,but it also lasts and makes a car stand out,more than paint in my opinion.jack

...i much prefer a better sbstrate,such as heavy body cloth over the springs....

Heavy Body cloth,? I am thinking you are refering to something like the resin sheet that is used for fiberglass? I hadn't thought of that as a substitute for the burlap, but I believe you are right. That would be a good one.

Guest 38cadillacjack
Heavy Body cloth,? I am thinking you are refering to something like the resin sheet that is used for fiberglass? I hadn't thought of that as a substitute for the burlap, but I believe you are right. That would be a good one.

what i meant was a good seat cover material,trade calls it body cloth,sorry for confusion.also after your substrate ,i like to use a felt type,or carpet pad apprx. 1/2 inch,that keeps springs from wearing at the foam.good luck,jack

Thanks for all the good suggestions. For the $2k he was going to reproduce the seat as close as original as possible. He did my dashboard in the same type of pearl essence green as the original which looks great. The covers aren't terrible but the old foam is hard and crumbles and the cloth inserts are a little worn. I'll probably just bite the bullet, shop and haggle. Thanks again, Barry.