68 Riviera, urgent help with safte belt intallation

Guest dennis79

Guest dennis79

Hi to all,

first of all, I'm from Germany and bought a 68 Buick Riviera recently. This car was built in 1968 in Suisse and was completely rebuilt in 1995.

I bought this car a few weeks ago. The guy who owned the car before gave me a set of seat belts which weren't mount in the car (I guess since the rebuilt).

My problem now: I can not find all the holes in the body which are made for the seat belt.

there is one hole in the entry area of the door where the screw of the belt roll fits. but there ist no hole in the area of the floor shifter. I removed the seat an the carpet to look for a mounting position but there is none.

i have an original add-prospect of the car. there was written, that the 68 buick riviera has seat bealt in front and row as basic equipment.

I hope anybody can help me, becaus the knowledge about buick in Germany is quite weak.

THX

Dennis

I can't say if this applies to a car built outside the US, but all US-built cars after Jan 1, 1968 were required by law to have both lap and shoulder belts (except convertibles). If you've found one of the mounting holes, then the rest will be there. Look at the underside of the floor. You should see oval reinforcing plates with a threaded nut welded to the middle. These are the attaching points for the seat belts. If the floor pan has been replaced, these might not have been reinstalled, however.

Joe is correct about the mounting points for the front seat belts being visible from under the floor. I would add, that if the carpet has been replaced and you need to make holes in the carpet for bolts the easiest way is with a hot soldering gun. Mark the hole by pushing an awl or ice pick up from below then melt the carpet from above.

Rear seat belt mounts are under the seat. You must remove the bottom half of the seat. Older cars had 2 bolts at the front but I think yours just pulls out. If there are no bolts in front of the seat, just take hold and lift it straight up then pull forward. You will see the reinforced bolt holes under the seat.

Joe is correct about the mounting points for the front seat belts being visible from under the floor. I would add, that if the carpet has been replaced and you need to make holes in the carpet for bolts the easiest way is with a hot soldering gun. Mark the hole by pushing an awl or ice pick up from below then melt the carpet from above.

Rear seat belt mounts are under the seat. You must remove the bottom half of the seat. Older cars had 2 bolts at the front but I think yours just pulls out. If there are no bolts in front of the seat, just take hold and lift it straight up then pull forward. You will see the reinforced bolt holes under the seat.

You may have to push the front lower edge of the seat back and down in order to "unhook" the bottom cushion springs from the tabs on the floor.

Guest Bob Call

I had 69 Pontiac Gran Prix and the shoulder belt attached to the interior roof just above the window just aft of the front seat back. There was a wire loop on the trim above the window near the windshield where the shoulder belt could be stored. I suspect that the Riviera is similar.