Tracking ownership history and provenance

Blackout

When I first bought my 1942 Buick (Oct. 2009), I was on a mission to track the ownership history. Rumor had it that my car was an Admiral's or Commandant's car at Mare Island Naval Shipyard. I've tried DMV, the Mare Island historian, the Vallejo Museum, and the Naval Archives with no luck. I've even contacted former employees of the base and the towyard that snagged the car in the '90's to no avail. Does anyone have some advice for me on tracking the ownership history of my car...I'm losing hope!

Jared,

I can only suggest DMV or Military records... I have a friend who retired from the Vallejo shipyard and he still goes to auctions on the base. However, if you have already tried similar contacts, perhaps it would just be duplication of effort.

Jared,

Is there a retired Naval officers association or even a broader returned servicemans club ( in Australia we have a Returned Sercemans League ) or Veterans club in the US?

If so they may produce a magazine or newsletter for members. If they do I'm sure they would welcome an article and photos of your car giving details of the Naval connection and a request for anyone with knowledge of it to contact you or the magazine/newsletter editor.