migley wheels

scotchyoke

Can anyone help me with knowledge of migley steel spoke wheels? Has anyone worked with or on them? I have a 1905 Autocar that uses migley steel spoke wheels which I have but, are in anything but great condition, I need advice. I have had thoughts of remaking them of wood but I need clincher rims size 28x3 and would need a source of who remakes a rim in this size. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can get this car on the road before my guardianship of this vehicle runs out. Thanks Diane

Dianne-- I am not that familiar with the steel spoke Midgley wheel. However if you wish to convert to a 28x3 clincher type rim the following company is a supplier to the hobby. I have used them several times and they are excellent USA quality. American Vintage Rims,Inc. Mark McLaren,15315Ferris Street, Grand Haven, Mi. 49417. Ph/Fax 616/844-0525, American Vintage Rims, Inc. - Model T Rims. Good luck---Bob

Interesting that this should come up. I am re-restoring an '07 Autocar for a customer and it has Midgley's that the previous owner had converted to 30 x 3 in. clinchers several years back. Actually, I painted one of them just a couple of hours ago:

P7240073-vi.jpg

Let me check with the previous owner and see who did the work for him. I think it's quite a chore, as I was told they were welded on all the way around.

Dear W. Higgins,

Thanks for the gorgeous picture. You have a super idea looks like you used an engine stand to paint the wheel. I would appreciate any help and advice you can and are willing to help me with. Please contact me again I will give you my e-mail if desired. Diane

Shoot me a p.m. with your email address and I'll relay to you the information that was shared with me.

Good eye. The wheel spinner was an engine stand. I modified it to hold the wheel at an upward angle and installed bearings for the shaft. It was motorized when I first made it, but the gear motor burned up and is now obsolete, so I just spin it by hand.