56 dodge

Guest 56dodge

Guest 56dodge

i have a 1956 dodge 2dr car(we dont know what it is) it has a super red ram and an automatic transmission. im thinking of changing the transmission to manual. i know the original had 3spd on the column. i want to make it either 3spd on the floor or 4spd on the floor. does anyone know what transmissions work in this year and where i could get one that would fit.

Guest Bob Call

This is the wrong place to be asking this question. This site is people dedicated to preserving cars in as near original condition as possible. I doubt your car origanally had a manual trans unless it is the cheapest model. The cheapest model wouldn't have had a Super Red Ram engine.

Years ago, I had a 56 Dodge that I also tried to convert to a stick shift. Don't. You will need the correct transmission, the clutch linkage. the rear end ratio will be too high, etc., etc. The original trans is a selector shift and floor linkage is nearly impossible to find. There may be a 4 speed that fits, but then you will need to have a driveshaft made. I had the original automatic rebuilt and it was just fine. Don't hack up a nice(I presume) old car

Guest Bob Call

My thing or bag or interest is first generation Chrysler Corporation hemi engines. I can tell you that finding the stock 56 Dodge parts to convert from an automatic to a manual transmission are going to be extemely difficult and expensive. The other choice is a modern trans with an adaptor but you'll still need a rare stock manual bellhousing. You'll need custom clutch linkage, a flywheel and clutch and a custom driveshaft becaus finding a modern trans and adaptor the same length as the automatic it replaces is 1 in a million. Also the fluid coupler used with the automatic is attached to the crankshaft by bolts and nuts. Any flywheel you buy will require that the bolt holes in the crank flange be tapped (threaded) to accept flywheel cap screws. This is not a job to do off hand. It requires a tapping fixture to be sure the holes are threaded aligned true so the flywheel fits properly. Unless the car is a pristine 2 door hardtop or convertible Royal Lancer you will probably spend more on the conversion that the car is worth. So, if you really want to FIU right swap in a SBC 350.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Hemi and poly trans should be the same based on the fact that they use the same block but I could be wrong.

There is also the flathead six version, I bet most of them had manual trans. I know where there is a 55 plymouth 3 speed stick and six parts car. The bellhousing will be wrong but the driveshaft, trans, pedal assembly and gearshift might work. Whether a 55 plymouth uses the same parts as a 56 Dodge is also an open question.

To the idea of using a SBC I still say, if you want a Camaro buy a Camaro.

I like the pushbutton automatics and even if I didnt I wouldnt go to the trouble of changing one out. Id learn to like it before I did that.