1930 Gauge Restoration

farrellg

Does anyone have a suggestion on who can restore 1930 Dodge Brothers gauges?My gauges are in good shape visually on the face of the gauges. However, the cases have rusted behind the face and the rust dust has covered the inside of the glasses. I am tempted to disassemble them and just clean them. However, having never done this before, I am hesitant. Anyone have experience with disassembling the Ammeter, Oil and Speedometer gauge?

Edited by farrellg (see edit history)

Does anyone have a suggestion on who can restore 1930 Dodge Brothers gauges?My gauges are in good shape visually on the face of the gauges. However, the cases have rusted behind the face and the rust dust has covered the inside of the glasses. I am tempted to disassemble them and just clean them. However, having never done this before, I am hesitant. Anyone have experience with disassembling the Ammeter, Oil and Speedometer gauge?

I would suggest taking the instrument to a clock or watch shop. They may know how to deal with it. I went ahead and restored the ones for my '31 Dodge coupe, but I don't know how different yours is to take apart/clean up/reassemble. Do yours look like the ones in the photo? I believe those are 1930. Do you have a photo of yours? John

post-37352-14313859832_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

They are similar but a little bit bigger. I inlcuded a photo of my dash bezel and the speedometer gauge. I can take pictures of the others, but as you can see from the bezel, the ammeter and oil pressure are about the same size.

post-69599-143138598472_thumb.jpg

Looks like same gauges as auto, BTW do you realize that the faceplate has shifted, this is a sign that maybe it has been taken apart before and the person neglected to re-install the felt dust washeres behind the bezel.

The gauges are easy to take apart, just pry up the little tangs and the bezels will come off with the glass, just be carefull as the housings can be fragile.