How to use, an 88 Touchsceen ?

Maintool-GS

Hello ! My friend, just got an 88 & I was checking the Touchscreen. Every button I tried, gave a negative reading .... Low Oil Pressure / Low Coolant / Low Refrid / Low Oil / Door Ajar .... etc. & says to service or may do damage ! Are we using this correctly, or could the screen be bad ??? We don't want to run this & do any damage ! Starts fine & let it idle, for 5 to 10 minutes & when I rev the engine & let off, seems like it want to stall. What do you think ?

Thanks, Jeff

When you push the "status" hard button it allows you to basically check what your various systems are and if they are OK. By going further you ultmately end up with what the warning would look like if you really did have a problem. I typically do not use this page.

Where the real info is, is to press the "climate" hard button and then press the "OFF" and "WARM" soft buttons at the same time. This will take you into diagnostics. Follow the prompts. Have a pen and paper handy and write down the codes as they come at you. Some will have an "H" suffex, some will have a "C" suffex. Post your results here and we will tell you what those codes mean...

When you rev the engine in neutral or park and let off you are confusing the computer. You may also have a dirty/sticking Idle Air Controller that is compounding the problem.

BTW to understand the diagnostic capabilities of the 88 (or 89) Reatta CRT, download and read the diagnostics document.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I don't think you have a problem at all. The touch screen does have a feature where you can display each warning to show you what it looks like. I think that is what you have done. If there is a problem with the car, the problem will show up on the screen without you have to do anything. For instance, if your passenger door is ajar, the screen will tell you that without having to do anything. Again, if your fuel in low, the screen will come on automatically and display a low fuel message when the fuel is low. You don't have to do anything. It's been three years since I had my car, but if I remember correctly, pressing the "status" key brings up items. If you press on those items then the warning for that item is displayed. I think that is what you are doing, is that correct? See Dave's and Harry's post above.