Fuel tank replacement 1966 Buick Sportwagon

Guest Rocker Box

Guest Rocker Box

My 1966 Buick Sportwagon fuel tank needs replacement and I can't find a tank for the wag anywhere. Will the tank out of the same year sedan work? I've checked out pix online and they look similar except the fill tube for the sedan is located in the center (for a behind the license plate gas cap?) instead of on the driver side like the wag. I'm prepared to swap the wag over to a center mounted fill tube and modify/swap out the bumper for a sedan bumper if need be. Has anyone replaced the tank in a wag with the sedan tank, and are there any gotchas?

edit.gif

Rocker,

I have had limited success with the sort of changeover which you are proposing (admittedly not involving GM A-bodies, however).

Before I went that route, I would consider two other options:

First, see whether the tank from other GM A-body wagons (Chevelle, Cutlass, Tempest) might better interchange. GM liked to save money by keeping lots of "under-the-skin" items interchangeable.

Second, have you considered the repair services available from Gas Tank Renu? I have heard good things about them, and there may be a franchise in your area.

Gas Tank RENU - USA

Good luck with the project.

Looking for something like this?

chevy_el_camino_1966_gas_tank_oem_gm37e.jpg

El Caminos were based on the Chevelle wagon, not the sedan. Repro tanks for the 66-67 El Camino are readily available from the usual Chevy repro houses.