Studebaker Hydraulic Vise... any connection?

I picked up a Studebaker hydraulic bench vise today.

It has "Studebaker Machine Co., Chicago, Ill" cast into the side. Obviously, Studes weren't built in Chi-town, but I wouldn't think just anyone could slap the name "Studebaker" on their product and get away with it.

From what little I have been able to find, some say it wasn't associated with the car manufacturer, some say it might have been another member of the Studebaker family, and others suggested Studebaker went through a diversification phase.

I found a link to a scanned page from a 1943 industrial tool catalog showing this vise, so that's the era I'm looking at.

The vise has a three-pedal operation: fast close, tighten and release. The catalog had two listed, I have the larger, with 5-inch wide jaws and a 7.5-inch throat. Shipping weight was listed as 117lbs, but I suspect that included a wooden crate. I'd guess the vise to be 70lbs, and the foot pedal assembly 10 or 15. I'll weigh it all tomorrow just to find out.

It came with a hard line to connect the pedal to the hydraulic ram; the outside jaw is fixed (static jaw) and the inside jaw (dynamic jaw) is pushed forward by the ram. There's a heavy spring in the housing that pulls the jaw back when the release pedal is pushed.

Does anyone have any information on the Studebaker Machine Co., or their hydraulic vises?

Thanks,

-Brad

post-30920-143138587531_thumb.jpg

post-30920-143138587536_thumb.jpg

Edited by brad54 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Does yours have an actual patent number on it?

Mine says "Patent Pending." I've found a bit, but not enough.

I did find one patent that has the vise in it, but the patent is for ball bearing slides on this style of vise. Nothing on the vise itself. If I could find an actual patent number, that'd go a long way toward filling in the gaps.

-Brad

Does yours have an actual patent number on it?

Mine says "Patent Pending." I've found a bit, but not enough.

I did find one patent that has the vise in it, but the patent is for ball bearing slides on this style of vise. Nothing on the vise itself. If I could find an actual patent number, that'd go a long way toward filling in the gaps.

-Brad

Mine's the same as yours, just has "Patent Pending" on it.

This company was not associated with the Studebaker Corporation in South Bend in any way. Studebaker is a common name in the U.S. (I know several).The founder may have been a shirt tail relative of one of the original five Studebaker brothers of car and wagon fame but that would be about the only possible connection.

There is no law against using a famous name provided you are not trying to trick or deceive anyone.

Years ago the Ford company sued a chewing gum manufacturer for selling Ford chewing gum. It seems the company owners name was Ford. The court decided there was no conflict or intent to defraud as the public could tell the difference between a Ford car and Ford chewing gum.

In a similar case New York showman Billy Rose tried to stop a Billy Rose's Pet Shop from using his name, until the owner showed him a birth certificate with William Rose on it. So he bought a canary instead.