Waukesha Show

Guest rcirilli

Guest rcirilli

I just wanted to give a short report on the show in Waukesha. Many more will surely add to it but I wanted to get something started since I got back early. I left right after I finished judging, my appologies to the DF'ers that attended but I figured I would be half way to Chicago before we were to meet. <P>I had worked in Chicago the week before so I left Friday morning for Waukesha for what I expected to be a two hour drive. Unfortunately I missed a turn off and went well west of where I wanted to be. At first I was upset with myself then after thinking about I decided it was like being on a tour. I continued driving about two hours through the countryside until I found my way to 94W again. I got to Waukesha two hours late but had A real relaxing drive. <P>I had not been to the show held there in 95 so this was new for me. The hotel was the Country Inn which sent questionable thoughts through my mind on the way. I got there to find a very large well maintained property. I was more surprised to find that the car show was on the property. A total of 183 cars were registered with a little more than 140 judges. The day was a little overcast but very pleasent. There were a couple of very minor glitches but over all an outstanding show. <P>As always the best part was the fellowship of old friends.

Wisconsin meet was great - a superb setting, great hotel, outstanding food - that saturday banquet was one of the best I've eaten anyway (no chicken!) and wow, for a meet that size there sure was an impressive array of vehicles. We don't usually see three electrics and a steamer lined up except at Hershey - and the classics - what a display! Some neat trucks too. What really impressed me tho was the large number of local members who were there showing off their cars for the first time ever at a National Meet. It was fun to talk w/them. I had a nice visit later Saturday evening with one family who was showing their mothers 66 Chevy convert - the family heirloom had just been restored and everyone was there for the occassion. Yes, they got their First Junior and you can only imagine how thrilled they were. I guess thats why I enjoy this hobby so much - great people and great cars - the best combination in the world. Thanks to the Wisconsin Region for all their hard work. Let's do it again!

Terry, more can be said about your friends with the '66 Chevy. The owner was just getting into the hobby and this was the first showing. His brother is a dedicated Glidden Tourist who I've known for years and made the trip to WI from his home in Texas to be with his brother to show mom's car. Glad to hear it won!!!

Guest rcirilli

That's a great story Terry, certainly the kind I like. One of the cars in my classes going for a Junior was a candidate for HPOF. I talked to the owner who was at his first show and explained the criteria for each judged class. He desided if he didn't get the Junior he would go to another show and enter HPOF. I gave him a judges manual and it was like he won a trophy. Sometimes A little shared interest goes a long way toward getting people interested.

Ron, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that you can have a vehicle that has won a 1st Jr and then go for HPOF. It is an either or kind of a thing.. I think that after you have won a 1st jr and want to go for HPOF you have turn the 1st jr car babge back to national.<P>Dan

Dan, you are correct. However the rules do not preclude a vehicle entered to compete for a 1st Junior, and having failed to win, and realizing that it really is more of a HPOF vehicle, then entering the HPOF class. If a vehicle wins the 1st Junior, it cannot then go to HPOF.

i agree with all that the waukesha show as great. one of the most relaxing meets i have been to in years, everyone was great and there sure were some interesting vehicles there....anyone ever see that many 40's buicks in one place! upon sitting down to dinner at the banquet and seeing the place card for mr. & mrs barnett i felt me weekend complete! however, our esteemed moderator of this site failed to show to much disppointment at our table! had to kid you just a little ron....<P>

Oldscarnut - I'm sorry. Sally and I had to make it a lightning trip - up, judge, and return and we were not registered for the banquet. Don't know why they had a place setting for us. We didn't even pay for the dinner. We like to stay, but this time had some other obligations. Next time, hopefully. Ron