door question?

Guest 37pac

Guest 37pac

MY 37 sedan has a locking mechanism on the passanger side ,between the 2 doors, it looks like the collum is removeable from the floor to the cealing. i havent tried to do anything with it , it looks like you need a special key . my question is, why is it there, and do all packards have that.

Sounds like you've got one of the commercial/livery cars as this was a not-uncommon feature of them. Not a feature of Packards otherwise except for the very odd stray custom which might have been built for someone who was whee-chair bound. There is at least one such example around, by Bohman & Schwartz I believe. The commercial/livery vehicles were also usually rather noticeably de-trimmed from their regular equivalents; different (more wear resistant) upholstery, sometimes less exterior trim. I believe I do have the 1937 (or 1938) commercial livery vehicle catalog somewhere.

What model is your Packard? Or if you don't know, what's the vehicle number? Or the wheelbase and engine type? If an 8-cylinder model, distributor on the cylinder head or on the side of the block?

I know of an early 30's Pierce Arrow that has this feature, and it was not a service car, in the sense that it was a fully trimmed limousine.

I've always thought it was a special feature for transporting wheelchair also.....

Guest 37pac

my car is a 1014 business sedan 139 wb trunck mounted spare, rubber mat instead of carpeting, but still has the foot rest in back and middle seats. 8 cyl super 8 i believe this model has a 4 inch wider rear end than the standard touring model ,but came as a more inexpensive alterative to the touring model,

37pac, I have a very clean original '37 Super 8 owner's manual available. PM me if interested. From what I can tell on your posted images, your car is a factory commercial livery body, not a coach built car - Owen or someone else here will correct me if I am mistaken but those should be Full Classics just like any Super 8 Packard from that year.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Have seen pictures of sedans with removable door posts, they were modified for use as ambulances.

In that case I would think the interior would be modified to suit. Your car seems to have a standard interior So the theory that the original owner of your car needed wheelchair access looks likely.

Guest 37pac

thanks,if anyone can finda picture or parts number for the tool that opens and closes the locking latches i would appreciate the info. owen, ,thanks .the dist is on the top and it is an 8 cyl. good thing its wheelchair access, because i probally will be in one by the time i'm finished with the car.