Branson meet pictures

sosuzguy

Jayson,

Thanks so much for the pics with the registration card & car. Awesome way to present them. I have used the pics you did like that from previous meets on mutiple occasions.

Some other notes for those who were not there. Its almost to the point where I consider the ROA national more of a family reunion than car show. Rhonda and I really look forward to seeing everyone and spending time talking especially since I wasn't consumed with a car in the show this year. The weather was outstanding and the rain held off until Friday morning after the meet was over.

The hotel was very nice and the staff catered to every need and then some. It was the most accomodating hotel I think we have ever had at a meet.

Somewhere around 85 cars in the show so was about average as far as that goes. About 211 people at the awards banquet. Lots of 95-99s as you might expect. I think all years except 74,75, 76 were represented. I talked to a lot of people who drove 600 miles plus to get there.

We had never been to Branson and was surprised at how commercialized it was. Kind of like a mini country-style Las Vegas without the gambling and rif-raf. Very safe, crime free area and the food was great anywhere we went. For anyone who likes live entertainment, there was a feast of many high quality shows to pick from.

Branson turned out to be a very successful meet.

When I saw Al Schmidts Coral Mist factory dual quad car Monday night when we got there, I knew it would probably win best of show and that it did with an overwhelming popular vote. It sure was pretty. Congrats Al!

Guest Kingoftheroad

Looks like it was a great show !

Lots of great cars, nice pics too.... Wish I could have gone.

GREAT pics, Jayson. Thanks.

When I saw Al Schmidts Coral Mist factory dual quad car Monday night when we got there, I knew it would probably win best of show and that it did with an overwhelming popular vote. It sure was pretty. Congrats Al!

I instantly fell in love with that car. Coral Mist is on the list of colors I want to paint my '64, but my wife says I "can't pull it off."

I wondered how "Best in Show" was voted on since I didn't see it on the ballot. Al's was my favorite with quite a few right there behind it. What a slew of gorgeous cars. I gained an appreciation for other category Rivs that I hadn't really paid much attention to before.

I missed the announcements of the winners since we had to leave after dinner on Thursday. Will they posted anywhere? The Riview or on the ROA site, maybe?

-BEPNewt

Best of show is awarded to the car, regardless of category, that receives the most votes. In the case of Al's car, it won first in the 63 - 64 category, then when all of the ballots were compiled, the committee looked back and found which car had the most votes in each category; that becomes the Best in Show. 2nd place in that category then receives the 1st place award.

Brian,

The winners will be in the Sept issue of the Riview in which the meet highlights will be covered with many pictures. Not sure yet if it will be posted on the website but its possible it may. I'll have to find out.

Since others may be wondering the same thing, I'll expand just a little on Ed's comments on Best of Show. In the past there was a category for Best of Show on the ballot. This caused confusion because some but not all would vote for the same car for best of show that they voted for class winner in the class it happened to be in. The dynamics of this process split votes and sometimes prevented what was obviously the best car to not get best of show or perhaps even 1st in class. Peer judging isn't perfect to begin with but it became clear by the ballot counters the method being used was flawed enough to justify a change.

So as Ed stated, this year Best of Show was determined differently. The 8 person team selected for counting ballots were also the judges for Best of Show. The team looked at the car(s) with the most votes and then compares their own observations and picks a winner. In this case the vote leader was overwhelming and an easy decision for the judges. If there had been 2 or 3 cars close in total votes, then the team would have picked the winner among themsleves. This decision would be more objective based on overall condition vs what looks pretty to the casual observer. Because of this, the winner may not always be the car with the single most votes on the ballots.

It was nice meeting you and your wife. Wish we had more time to chat.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Thanks to all for your nice comments about my car. I fell in love with the coral mist color when I saw my first (and only) one at the meet in Eureka Springs in 2005. I told my wife Cheryl if I ever found another one I would buy it. This car has had an extensive restoration done after we purchased it which took over two years to complete. I am very pleased with the results and it appears that other Riv fans agree. What a thrill to be voted/selected "best of show."

Ray has already "insisted" ;) that I do a write up about the car for the Riview which I will do soon.

Thanks again,

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thanks to all for your nice comments about my car. I fell in love with the coral mist color when I saw my first (and only) one at the meet in Eureka Springs in 2005. I told my wife Cheryl if I ever found another one I would buy it. This car has had an extensive restoration done after we purchased it which took over two years to complete. I am very pleased with the results and it appears that other Riv fans agree. What a thrill to be voted/selected "best of show."

Ray has already "insisted" ;) that I do a write up about the car for the Riview which I will do soon.

Thanks again,

That coral mist is a great color, never seen it before. I was wondering if it was a factory color till I saw your sign there saying what color it was and it was stock so... Beautiful !

For more info on options for the '64 year model, you should read Darwin Falk's "Options Not Included" article in the Nov/Dec 2007 issue of the Riview. One fact I'll give you here, 645 cars, or 1.71% of the total produced were painted Coral Mist, paint code N. Tons of fun information in these articles.

I think this is interesting. Each car that has won the Best of Show from the past two meets (2010 meet in PA and the 2011 meet in MO) were painted colors that were two least painted colors of the total production for 1964. Sunburst Yellow (2010) was liminted to 2.01%, or 152 more than the Coral Mist. If you're looking for a best of show contender, you should be looking for a rare production color. :)

Ed

So as Ed stated, this year Best of Show was determined differently. The 8 person team selected for counting ballots were also the judges for Best of Show. The team looked at the car(s) with the most votes and then compares their own observations and picks a winner. In this case the vote leader was overwhelming and an easy decision for the judges. If there had been 2 or 3 cars close in total votes, then the team would have picked the winner among themsleves. This decision would be more objective based on overall condition vs what looks pretty to the casual observer. Because of this, the winner may not always be the car with the single most votes on the ballots.

It was nice meeting you and your wife. Wish we had more time to chat.

Thanks for clarifying further. Kit and I discussed this on the drive home from Branson and came to the conclusion that if it were just based on the car with the highest number of votes then it was a potentially flawed system. It's good to hear that you guys have really put an effort into the judging.

Thanks for making us feel welcome. It's always interesting going to something like this where you don't really know anyone, especially on just the last day after everyone has settled in.

-BEPNewt