What is a 1960 Electra 4 door worth?

Guest Bearman

Guest Bearman

I have an acquaintance that wants me to help him sell his 1960 Buick Electra. I have not seen the car but this is what I know:

His father bought the car new, has 155,000 miles, original paint, interior, drive train in very nice condition, always garaged no rust. Transmission works but may need adjustment, coolant leak in cylinder(possible intake/head gasket)

Can someone give me a range of value for this car?

Is there any real interest in the 4 door cars?

He thinks it is worth $ 11,000 but that seem way out of line with reality.

Since I am unfamiliar with older Buick's and there following, can someone please give me some guidance?

Thanks

Barry in NC

There is absolutely some value in 4 dr. hardtops (NOT a sedan), arguably more than a two door sedan. That being said, they are still not as valuable as two door hardtops and convertibles. Unfortunately for your friend, a car with that many miles, engine and transmission issues, along with an expected brake rebuild would be more in the range of $4-6k in my opinion, AND that depends on somebody willing to part with the money on a car that conceivably could very quickly cost an additional five grand to be reliable (if engine and trans need more than a quick tuning).

I have attached a picture of my car taken a couple of years ago. I have done no paint or interior work. It has 72,000 easy miles. I bought it with 60,000 or so in '02. It was always used and maintained fairly well. It did not suffer from long disuse.

I just put on its second set of tires, $900. Did the brakes and hoses, $800. Rebuild and replated the brake booster, $250. Sleeved the master cylinder, $120 + kit. Did minor engine work. New exhaust $1000 +. Repaired and detailed rear end, $700. Recored radiator, $250. Rebuilt carburetor. Cleaned and re-undercoated the under body, $400. Lot of consumables. Lovingly detailed, cleaned and polished every nook and cranny. I guess if he has done stuff like that $11,000 would be OK, maybe more. Or did his price just kind of come to him in a vision?

Bernie

Batavia1.JPG

"drive train in very nice condition Transmission works but may need adjustment, coolant leak in cylinder(possible intake/head gasket)"

These statements are in direct conflict!

a 4 door that probably needs a little bit of everything, including engine and transmission work?

Under 2K IMO.

Take lots of pics and put it on Ebay and you'll find out what it's worth...