Door window motors & chrome rearview mirrors 80's

sosuzguy

Hi group, I'm posting this for an ROA member who contacted me directly.

He says his window motors are so weak they can hardly get the windows to roll up. I have never had to replace my motors so I have no experience in this.

Does anyone know of a source for a good quality replacement window motor or someone who is in building them?

He's also wanting to get a set of the chrome rear view mirrors for his convertible. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jason,

I recently replaced both the front door motors on my `82. For several years they were occasionally refusing to respond, sometimes just one, sometimes both and sometimes I could go for a few months with no problem so I just lived with it the first few seasons I used it.

But recently I decided to troubleshoot the problem and was very surprised at what I found; also cant believe this has not been an issue for other owners of this generation. It should be noted I did not look for related period service bulletins.

Upon removing and dismantling the motors I found the brushes and commutator completely buggered up with what appeared to be old grease. The grease was creating compromised contact between the brushes and commutator and causing the motors to operate intermittently.

The car in question was undercoated with a product that I am unfamiliar with, not a tar but like a viscous varnish, and I initially thought perhaps this material made its way into both motors. Upon further inspection it became obvious the motors were assembled at Delco containing this grease. There was ALOT of it looking like someone greased a Zerk fitting on the window motor!

Good news is the motors are available from Dorman and are very inexpensive. I believe they were about $25 apiece. Have fun,

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Upon removing and dismantling the motors I found the brushes and commutator completely buggered up with what appeared to be old grease. The grease was creating compromised contact between the brushes and commutator and causing the motors to operate intermittently.

Tom did cleaning out some of the grease make them work better or did you go ahead and replace them with new ones from Dorman? Thanks

The motors are press riveted together so I dismantled them by grinding flush the rivets and seperating the motor housings with a few light taps from a chisel. I probably could have cleaned the internals up and reassembled the motors with replacement fasteners but I already had the new motors. The cost of the new motors was so low compared to what I expected I was pleased with the opportunity to replace the old with new.

It should also be noted there is a plastic gear in the housing which showed some wear on the teeth so replacing the old motor seemed like cheap insurance. Have fun,

Tom Mooney