Radiator Overflow tank, cheap !!!

FLYER15015

While viewing the small green puddle of antifreeze growing on my garage floor last night, after taking my grand daughters for ice cream, I began thinking of possible "fix's" for this reoccurring problem.

Now since I own a "driver" my fix did not have to be the way they did it back in the old days, which i'm pretty sure was nothing but add more antifreeze.

My solution was to zip tie an old quart paint thinner can, approx 2 1/2"x 4 1/2" x 7" atop the very leading end of the right side frame rail, under the fender. Luckily I found some holes that worked. Attach about 14" of clear 1/2" I.D. plastic tubing to the radiator overflow tube with an aircraft clamp, form it into an"S" shape, cut the end @ 45 degrees, and fed it thru a 5/8" hole I drilled in the screw on cap, to the bottom of the can. WAAA LAAA, no more green puddles !!!

And in keeping with the restorers tradition, I did paint the can flat black, just like the underside of the fender.

If you have a better/different fix, I would love to hear about it.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

BCA# 45728

AACA# 994416

:):):)

The simple "fix" for most prewar Buicks is to fill the radiator only enough to cover the core. Overfilling will always cause the excess to to run out the overflow line and will often siphon more than the excess amount that was overfilled.

My 2 cents...

Guest pssmls

I have the same issue with my 1923 Buick Roadster Conv 6 cyl. I heard of one individual who attached an overflow tank on the inside of the firewall, between it & the dash, and ran tubing from the overflow tube to the overflow tank. My son put one on the firewall inside the engine compartment, as he wanted to be able to keep it filled, but afterward decided he could fill the radiator as necessary by removing the radiator cap and adding water.

It is good to know that filling the radiator above the radiator core causes water to exit the overflow tube. I have checked the radiator with the cap off and with the engine running, and there is good circulation. The water/antifreeze solution seems clear - no apparant oil mixed in it. However, when the water exits thru the overflow tube, or from around the bottom of the cap, if the cap is not on tight, the fluid in the radiator foams up and foam exits with the fluid. It seems to do this only when the engine is running faster than idle. No water evacuates the system as the engine is at idle speed. Of course, we had the radiator filled completely, at the time. We'll try again with the radiator not overfilled and see what happens.

My radiator has a new core, so the radiator is not the problem. Also, we knew not to presure test the radiator after the tanks were installed, so that is not an issue.

Is there a type of antifreeze for these older cars, that would be preferable? My manual says to add alcohol and gives the ratio of alcohol to water, plus another ingredient I do not recall, that slows down evaporation of the alcohol.

I am anxious to hear from some of you who have had similar problems and how you have solved them. Thank you in advance.

ps: I have a couple of other issues, but will put them in another log, as they are about different issues.

Guest Grant Magrath

Nice fix Mike!

We learned to short fill the radiator on our 35 Dodge. I know you could get overflow tanks for 1939 Chevies as a factory accessories, so I wonder if they were sold in Buick dealerships as well? You can get reproduction ones in gray with a repro decal to go with it. I think a place like Chevs of the 40's or eBay might be a places to look.

Cheers

Grant

You might check the suction side of the water pump to make sure the hose is not collapsed when running. This will starve the pump and cause cavitation and foaming of the coolant.

Give the hose a good squeeze to be sure you cannot collapse the hose.

Also make sure the pump packing is not sucking air which may also cause foaming....

Just about any modern anti-freeze will work OK. However, since we typically drive these older cars only in warm weather, Many use only water pump lubricant in their old cars.

Plain water is the most efficient low cost coolant.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Guest Andrew Armitage

When I fill my radiator, I expect to get a puddle of antifreeze under the car after the first couple times I drive it. After that, I never have any coolant on the ground (now, oil, that's another story!). I don't add any antifreeze unless my temperature gauge starts running hot.

Hi,

Concerning anti-freeze, there was an article in the Auburn Cord Duesenberg magazine cautioning against using today's extended life anti-freeze in any pre-2000 car. I posted info on the subject here some months ago, and it can be found by searching the forum topics.

The ACD website can be accessed at acdclub.org.

--Tom

Nice fix Mike!

We learned to short fill the radiator on our 35 Dodge. I know you could get overflow tanks for 1939 Chevies as a factory accessories, so I wonder if they were sold in Buick dealerships as well? You can get reproduction ones in gray with a repro decal to go with it. I think a place like Chevs of the 40's or eBay might be a places to look.

Cheers

Grant

Interesting idea - I found the tanks at Chevs Of The 40s. Does anyone know if they were options for cars other than Chevy?

My "fix" was done for two reasons. One, it is a bit embarrassing to have your car in a show, with a puddle under it, and two, with all the "enviro's out here in Colorado, I did not want to give them any ammo.

I did the CLR flush when I first brought the car home,(clear water and a full can of CLR, run car up to temp and drain thru the block plug TWICE, and refill w/ 50/50 antifreeze), and I posted this in another thread last fall. This was done @ the recommendation of my local radiator shop guys. She now runs @ 190 @ normal driving speeds.

I have a hunch my radiator is a replacement, as it is only one layer deep, so this winter I'll be replacing it w/ at least two layers of tubes. We do have a big pancake fan up front on a underdash switch, for use when "parading".

Mike

Guest Straight eight
I have the same issue with my 1923 Buick Roadster Conv 6 cyl. I heard of one individual who attached an overflow tank on the inside of the firewall, between it & the dash, and ran tubing from the overflow tube to the overflow tank. My son put one on the firewall inside the engine compartment, as he wanted to be able to keep it filled, but afterward decided he could fill the radiator as necessary by removing the radiator cap and adding water.

It is good to know that filling the radiator above the radiator core causes water to exit the overflow tube. I have checked the radiator with the cap off and with the engine running, and there is good circulation. The water/antifreeze solution seems clear - no apparant oil mixed in it. However, when the water exits thru the overflow tube, or from around the bottom of the cap, if the cap is not on tight, the fluid in the radiator foams up and foam exits with the fluid. It seems to do this only when the engine is running faster than idle. No water evacuates the system as the engine is at idle speed. Of course, we had the radiator filled completely, at the time. We'll try again with the radiator not overfilled and see what happens.

My radiator has a new core, so the radiator is not the problem. Also, we knew not to presure test the radiator after the tanks were installed, so that is not an issue.

Is there a type of antifreeze for these older cars, that would be preferable? My manual says to add alcohol and gives the ratio of alcohol to water, plus another ingredient I do not recall, that slows down evaporation of the alcohol.

I am anxious to hear from some of you who have had similar problems and how you have solved them. Thank you in advance.

ps: I have a couple of other issues, but will put them in another log, as they are about different issues.

To cut to the chase, reccomendations for old cars cooling systems is to use that stuff Danica Patrick advertises, Peak. Under certain conditions it is rumored, she'll come out and install it for you too!! (chuckle-chuckle)