322 Nailhead Transmission Question

Guest 1956buick

Guest 1956buick

I am planning on pulling out the dynaflow trans out of my 56 special 4dr. I have a 322 nailhead in it and plan on keeping it in. Any advice on the best trans and/or if there is a good overdrive trans that could fit?

Thanks

Guest 1956buick

I am having some trouble with reverse and leaks. I also have to warm it up to switch from low drive... Which I hear that is pretty common with dynaflow. I believe It's original so not sure how much she has left. I hear the re build is expensive so I was curious if a new trans and maybe rear end would be a better route.

Guest NikeAjax

Um, I think what you want to do is way more trouble than it's worth: as I remember it takes lots of custom work. You'll need to replace the rear end as well as it uses a torque tube.

I had mine rebuilt, and yes it was $2,500, but it doesn't need any sort of warm up. What needs to warm up is the carburetor so that the RPM's aren't too high when you put it in gear, but that's what, 30-seconds?

Just my own observations,

Jaybird

Guest NikeAjax

Oh, BTW, where is it leaking? Check your motor mounts if you're having problems putting it into reverse, bad mounts can be SATANIC! Bad mounts can cause you to need to change your shorts at the most inopportune times!

Jaybird

Guest 1956buick

Yea I realize that it would be a big custom job. But since I would like to keep the car and make it a dependable cruiser a new rear end and trans may out weigh a re-build. I wish it was a carb issue but I have to drive it in low even when warm for about ten minutes before I can switch to high. Not a huge issue. Just weighing my options for down the road.

It's leaking at the trans and at the end of the tube near the rear end. Thought it was rear fluid but after putting it on the lift it's def trans fluid.

I guess another option would be try and locate a parted out dynaflow. I don't mind the dynaflow just want to keep it dependable

I understand if you want to make a more performance oriented set up but, the torque tube leak in front of the differential is a seal in the front of the torque tube. I believe it costs less than ten bucks. While that is out, the torque ball retainer is the most likely cause of the drip behind the transmission. It is possible that the trans needs rebuilding (sluggish), but that could also be a poorly tuned engine. Trouble switching from low could conceivably be the trans linkage. The thrust pad and trans mounts could also be suspect.

There are more of us here who can walk you through fixing what you have than telling you how to swap a TH350 and Ford rear end. I know it has been done, and it is admirable that you at least want to keep the 322, but there are also plenty of us here (myself included) who have logged thousands of miles on Dynaflow equipped, torque tube cars.

Good luck either way.

Guest 1956buick

That's definitely what I wanted to hear. I would love to keep the dynaflow and get plenty more miles out if it. The car is pretty much all original and it would be great to keep that integrity. I will definitely look into it closer and get the seals replaced.

I apreciate your feedback

Guest NikeAjax

I agree with Mike. Once you have the Dynaflow fixed, you'll find it's a VERY robust tranny. Pull the pan and make sure your ATF is red, not black, and clean the gunk out of it as well as the filter. You'll want to replace the torqueball seal, that's where it's leaking from, and there's also a seal that goes to the torquetube that will need replacing.

A good Dynaflow is smooth as glass when it's working right, and I seriously doubt you can find one that will shift smoother. You can also romp on it on occasion with pretty impressive results.

As for economy, I get nearly 22-MPG on the freeway with my 1956, that's WAY better than most modern V8's!

Jaybird

Will do. Thanks for the help. Anyone know of any good trans shops in Dallas Texas area?

Not Dallas, but San Antonio that does bench work only meaning that you will have to R&R as well as deliver and pick up....usually ~$600 if not too many parts. I have a 56 dynaflow, but still in the car.

Willie

Well, these guys summed it up pretty good before I could get back here to see your response 1956 Buick. I would just like to add that dynaflow performance is ( in my humble opinion) greatly UNDER rated. By the time 1956 came along several improvements were made and, while I would not drag race my Super, I am always amazed at offline performace starting in low. And the pickup when cruising around 40 MPH is also obvious.

If you are handy with the tools of the trade, I recommend thorough review of the 56 Service manual. It describes the tranny's test procedures which can be done with the unit in the car, and would probably allow you to determine the root cause of the problem. Also, considering how bad your leak may be, it is imperative to keep the tranny fluid right up to the proper level in this unit. I can tell when my car is two quarts low just by driving it forward from a dead stop. The difference is like night and day with two quarts missing.