NATIONAL CONSTITUTION CENTER - Prohibition Exhibit

jscheib

Some of the readers may have already seen a this request. The museum. located in Philadelphia is planning an exhibit on the Prohibition Era. This will run from Fall 2012 into summer 2013, and possible tour thereafter.

They know that Buicks were a vehicle of choice by bootleggers, and they have a specific desire to have a car that may have been equiped with an extra tank, heavy springs and shocks, false botom, etc. They have referenced a "Whisky 6", which I think may have been a Buick 6 which likely outran the smaller engined cars of the Feds and local police. I tried to Google Whisky 6, and the only thing found was a punk rock band.

If they do not locate a car that might have been used by bootleggers, they may settle for a similar car typical of the era. They would favor Buicks (as they seem to be the car of choice at that time) of the 1920s to 1933 and favor a black or deep blue. The exhibit would travel to several other museums, at their expense, or they may select a different car in each city, after Philadelphia. This would mean the car would be in the exhibit until 2014.

We should probably discuss this a bit more with the Pre-War Division in Danvers, but if anyone is interested in making a car available, I would be glad to provide them with your information. Likewise, if anyone has some information as to the history of any car used by a bootlegger, or the term "Whisky 6", let me know and I will also pass your contact information to the Museum.

John

John,

I posted this on the original request but the thread seemed to be abandoned shortly after.

I suggested they get a copy of the April 2003 Bugle article which had even linked the car " Whiskey Six " to an owner who supposedly had convictions for bootlegging.

You can't do more than lead a horse to water!!!

Quote:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Steve Moskowitz viewpost.gif

The National Constitution Center in Philadelphia is looking for a car for their exhibit in 2012. Anyone with any leads to one of these cars?

Thank you for taking a few moments to speak with me on the phone earlier today. As I briefly explained, we are in the early stages of developing an exhibit on Prohibition. Finding a bootlegging car is high on our list of “wow” artifacts for the exhibit. Our Curatorial consultant, Dan Okrent (“Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition”), referred us to the cars known as the “Whiskey 6”, such as the Buick or Studebaker, used by the bootleggers. Or we would be interested to find any car of the era with a “false bottom” or some kind of hidden compartment for the liquor. The exhibit is set to open Summer 2012. Any help you or your members can provide would be great. I’d love to have some sources I can start calling by the end of the month. ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The April 2003 edition of the Buick Bugle featured a 1929 Model 44 Buick aka The Whiskey Six.

The vehicle was documented as being originally owned by Fred Hempstead from Pine Creek Minnesota and the article included some original photos of Fred and the car.

The article claims Fred was arrested in relation to his activities and served time in Federal prison in Duluth.

His car, The Whiskey Six is restored and according to the 2008 Buick Roster is still in the Minnesota area.

The Bugle story was written by W. Reese BCA#14497 and was reprinted by permission of the Antique Automobile, March-April 2001.

This would be the ideal car to exhibit with it's extensive probity, including period photographs.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>76075d1295479279t-bootlegger-cars-need-one-bugleapril1.jpg

</FIELDSET>

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->

John,

I found this:

BUICK

Model 33 Four Passenger Opera Coupe ( RARE )

$18,000.00 Cash or Certified Funds

Good History : Rum Runner in the late 1920's.

Secret Compartment in Floor. Purchased from

Indy Driver Tommy Sneva Museum in early 1990s.

In Excellent Mechanical Condition. Drives Good.

Original Old Paint - Grey with Black Roof & Fenders

Has been inside most of its lifetime.

Housed Indoors in Grand Junction, Colorado, USA

Afternoons & Evenings - Best Time to Call.

Photos can be furnished by Ann Soehrmann

via e-mail : happyas@tds.net

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->Re: 1924 BUICK FS<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->A Buyer has Been Found for this 1924 Buick Model 1933

and this car has found a new loving home in Wyoming. THANKS. Ann Soehrmann for Jim Taylor<!-- google_ad_section_end -->