Rear badge removal............

Guest HessLakeGuy

Guest HessLakeGuy

Hello:

How much of a job is it to change out the rear badge? I do not recall it ever being mentioned on this site.

Its 95 degrees here in Michigan tonight so I am not doing much of anything other than planning future tasks.

Thanks.

Tom

Guest Recian

you mean the whole tail light or the BUICK letters? the letters are sticky taped on and the tail light is easy to take out just time consuming

If you are talking about the Reatta "script" emblem (lower right of rear filler panel, above bumper and below tail lamp, near trunk lock cylinder) it is held on with three speed nuts from behind.

You should probably be able to remove the nuts (I think they are 10 or 11mm size socket) by reaching up under the rear bumper, but it will be tight. I replaced mine when I had the filler panel off during the repaint, since I did all the reassembly of the bumpers, emblems, etc. myself. Much easier, but requires tearing the whole rear bumper apart to do it this way.

It may be helpful to remove the lower trim valence (black part that is notched for the exhaust pipes) and you definitely need the rear jacked up on stands to do this in any case.

If you are talking about the BUICK letters on the tail lamp lens, then Recian has your answer. I find that a stainless dental pick (like one the Dentist uses at the office, can be bought at Walgreens/CVS I think) does well to remove these without damage, as long as you go nice and easy about it. You will need 3M emblem adhesive to reinstall these onto the lens.

KDirk

Guest HessLakeGuy

Excellent. You hit it spot on.

What I was talking about was the Reatta script with the three stud.

Thanks.

Tom