Boyce Motometer Radiator Gauge / Cap

Guest 1frankie1

Guest 1frankie1

Can anyone help me identify what vehicle this Boyce Motometer may be from? I have researched many of this type on-line but cannot find any with this design. There is a marking on it that is very hard to make out but it appears to be; "ESSANDEE Los Angeles, Calif.". The back of the cap has a blue glass circle that says; "Glo-Light Pat. Pend." under it. It also has a flip open cap for filling the radiator. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

post-76253-14313856206_thumb.jpg

post-76253-143138562063_thumb.jpg

post-76253-143138562066_thumb.jpg

The motometer is an accessory that could be fitted to a cap with threads to fit a specific car or cars with compatible threads. Some caps were also designed to clamp onto the neck of radiators that weren't threaded. Examine the underside of the cap. The next step would be to discover which make or makes of cars would have compatible necks. (This could be a time consuming task)

That is an expensive meter probably fitted to a luxury car when new. Looks like the green light showed to the front and sides, the thermometer faced the rear and the cap flipped back for filling.

Some cars even had a little spotlight on the cowl, focused on the meter for night viewing.