Small Clips (4) on '54 Deck Lid

Fred Zwicker

In stripping the the deck lid of my 1954 Buick Special 2dr. Hard Top, came upon this small flat clip that is about 1/2" wde x about 1" long (estimated). It seems to be held in place with 2 small bolts, or possibly the 2 small hex nuts attached to the bolts are to hold something in place.

There are four (4) of these on the underside of the deck lid at the perimeter - one on each side and two equally spaced on the rear of the trunk (near rear bumper). One theory is that these clips are to hold the gasket in place, but gasket seemed to be glued in place when it was removed. Any ideas?

Pictures attached.

Fred

post-48037-143138558955_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138558962_thumb.jpg

They have nothing to do with the gasket. There is supposed to be rubber cast on the bottom and it is a bumper stop to prevent the lid edge from dinging the body. They are adjustable and are adjusted so they are slightly proud of the lid edge. I think Cars sells them or maybe Fusick.....................Bob

They have nothing to do with the gasket. There is supposed to be rubber cast on the bottom and it is a bumper stop to prevent the lid edge from dinging the body. They are adjustable and are adjusted so they are slightly proud of the lid edge. I think Cars sells them or maybe Fusick.....................Bob

Thanks for the info, Bob. I looked in my CARS catalog - not shown, so I phoned Fusick and they had them in stock and will be shipping them the same day!

I am now wondering since these fit along the inside edge of the deck lid and after they are installed, how does the rubber trunk gasket fit over this? It seems as if they stick up a bit, so wouldn't the rubber gasket have to go over top of these? Am I missing something?

Fred