Reinstalling accelorator pedal

Guest ThunderPony

Guest ThunderPony

Hello. This may be a silly question. but I'm stumped. The gas pedal on my '67 Oldsmobile 98 hearse came off yesterday. and I can't figure out how to stick it back on. It was anchored at the base on two pins with rounded heads coming up through the floor. The pedal was fastened to these pins somehow. What do I need to do to stick it back on there? Thanks!

Guest ThunderPony

Yes, there are two large rounded holes at the base of the pedal, correlating with the pins, but no obvious way to get the pins to stay in the holes. The rubber really doesn't seem to be in bad shape. Is it supposed to just suck on there if I press hard enough? If that doesn't work anymore, is there a good adhesive that would keep it anchored while not restricting the necessary pivoting?

Edited by ThunderPony (see edit history)

This is a shot in the dark, but is it possible that you aren't pressing them down firmly enough? Maybe you could try a rubber mallet or a hammer with a piece of wood. I seem to remember changing mine out when I installed new carpet on my 63 Wildcat and that it was a tight fit. I would be leery of using any glue for fear it wouldn't be removable later...like if you wanted to change the carpet.

Try the hammer trick first then maybe use an epoxy glue as a last resort. I wouldn't think that glue would affect pedal operation.

Good luck.

Guest bofusmosby

On my 37 Pontiac, the large holes on the underside of the pedal have cracked, causing the pedal not to fasten firmly. In actuality, I know that I really need either a new pedal, or have mine rebuilt. Epoxy would be the last thing one should use on this. The pedal is designed so that when the pedal is pressed, the "ball and hole" will pivot. Epoxy would prevent this. My problem is, that on a few occasions, the accelerator has popped loose while driving, causing the accelorator to be "floored". Before taking my car back out on the road again, I was thinking of using a small amount of silicone sealant at these pivot points. This should still allow movement, and at least this should keep the pedal from popping off while driving, and still be removable if need be.

Any opinions on this temporary fix idea?

... Any opinions on this temporary fix idea?

Aren't new gas pedals available for your car? Chrysler products of that era used the same setup and I know that replacement pedals are available for them.

Guest bofusmosby
Aren't new gas pedals available for your car? Chrysler products of that era used the same setup and I know that replacement pedals are available for them.

You you by chance have a source for them?

Rusty, I hadn't thought of that. I would just hate the idea of having to drill holes in the car that didn't belong.

You you by chance have a source for them?

Rusty, I hadn't thought of that. I would just hate the idea of having to drill holes in the car that didn't belong.

I'm not familiar with Pontiac, or even GM, specific parts vendors for that era but I do see that Steele Rubber offers re-vulcanizing services for 1937 Pontiac. At least their web site shows it.

If you were dealing with a Chrysler Product, I'd point you to Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts: Interior rubber

Guest 47jag

Jim,

What about a dab of RTV into the socket and then refit the pedal. The RTV will allow the pedal to flex and retain it on the pins.

Art

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you Art. I already mentoned Silicone sealant, and I believe that RTV sealant is the same thing. Thats the only idea I can think of right now without the expense of having my pedal "re-done", or installing a hinge on the pedal and floor. That was my way of thinking that the silicone sealant (RTV) would still allow movement, and it could be easily removed in the future. Ah yes, great minds thank alike!:D

I got it! I had to use my foot, and the right combination of swear words. Thanks!

As this is the "tehcnical" section of the forum, I believe the technical term for your installation method is 'jam with foot'? And, incidentally, that is the proper install procedure!