buick 400 cu.in heads

Guest rivierafan

Guest rivierafan

Hello Buick people, I'm new to the forum, so please have patience with me.

I'm having a buick 400 cu.in. engine worked on at a machine shop, and considering to install hardened seats in the heads. The shop owner says I don't have to do that, because GM heads have enough nickel content in them.

I don't plan on racing or abusing the engine.

Thoughts, please? Thank you.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> Regards, Gil

Guest rivierafan

Hello Buick Racer, Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it.

Also, that is a very nice list of Buicks you have there.

Thanks again. Regards, Gil

Hi Gil, Welcome to the Forum, and if you don't mind, how about giving us the name and address of that Machine shop? It's always good to share information about guys who apparently know these Buicks.

Welcome, Gil!

Roberta, could you please help expand my knowledge in this area . . . the "high nickel content cylinder heads" and which engines and model years received this special-mix cast iron? I knew about the high-nickel valves, but not the cylinder heads per se. Buick-specific or "All GM"?

Thanks in advance,

NTX5467

I've heard that line about almost all the brands...

Hardened seats are a waste of money and time UNLESS your current seats are that bad, that they warrant the job. There is always a high risk of hitting a water jacket when machining for the new seat. Don't do it unless you have to.

Back to the machining considerstions . . .

Before the issue of unleaded fuels came up, and even afterward to a certain extent . . .

One issue to consider is just how many valve jobs the head might have had previously, which can probably be suspected after careful examination of the disassembled cylinder head. OR if the previous valve jobs have had the correct angles cut for the valve seat area.

End result, if the valve seat is "sunk" too deep into the port's bowl area, a new seat being ground/machined will only be marginal in many respects . . . think valve stems sticking out of the valve guide too much, which further compresses the hydraulic valve lifter too much (think "pre-load") which can hamper higher-rpm performance. Not to mention the spring pressure of the valve springs (need for shims under the springs, for example). In this case, you either put a "valve seat" into the head or get another head.

Unless the particular engine has under about 100K miles (my number), there's a good chance that it's had one valve job in its lifetime. Usually, that first valve job meant the seats were "touched" and not "ground", so they should be useable . . . UNLESS the valve seats have been "beaten out" from high rpm/high load use, exclusively unleaded fuel use, and "normal" cast iron metallurgy.

In the realm of "left turn only" local racing, there are usually classes which require "Stock OEM Production/replacement" cylinder heads. My machine shop associate called up and wanted a set of the normal Chevy Z-28/LT-1 (circa 1970) cylinder heads (which were still in the GM Perf Parts Cat at that time). Seems that some got through without the "induction hardening" of the valve seats (as model years progressed, the original castings were upgraded with the addition of the induction hardened valve seats, which the heads would have had from the factory after about April, 1971). End result was that after one or two races, the valve seats were beaten out and needed serious repairs.

With all due respect . . . and the reason I inquired with Roberta . . . is that just as in Chevy V-8 cylinder blocks, not "All GM" heads apparently have the "high nickel" content cast iron. The small block Chevy blocks with the "high nickel" content usually had a particular letter cast into the front of the block. Is there a similar designation for the cylinder heads, too???

I know what I"ve seen over the years of hanging around an automotive machine shop (which also did many circle track and drag racing engines, in addition to normal and hi-perf engine builds). That's why I'd like to know if there was something that I missed or didn't know about.

Just wanting to expand my knowledge base . . .

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Guest rivierafan

Hello JohnD1956, Didn't mean to ignore your request, but I'll get back to you with the name, when I get a chance to talk to him. My other passion is vegetable gardening ( I give most of the veges to the food banks) and that is a higher priority at this time. Regards, Gil

Hello JohnD1956, Didn't mean to ignore your request, but I'll get back to you with the name, when I get a chance to talk to him. My other passion is vegetable gardening ( I give most of the veges to the food banks) and that is a higher priority at this time. Regards, Gil

Great priorities!!

Take care,

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rivierafan

Hello JohnD1956,

Finally got a chance to talk to the machine shop owner and here is his info:

Don's Auto Parts & Machine Shop, 5515 60th St., Kenosha, WI. 53144.

Phone # 262-658-3737. Ask for Tony or Randy. Regards, Gil