Need help with steering wheel puller

Guest 34Airflow

Guest 34Airflow

Can anyone tell me where I might find a steering wheel puller as described in the below thread as a split type.

I am trying to remove the steering wheel on our 1934 Chrysler Airflow CU and the Chrysler Maintenance Manual calls for a steering wheel puller CN-232. It appears to be similar to the one described in the thread below from Hupp36. Need to remove the steering wheel to pull the steering column to replace our steering gear box that has excessive play.

Thanks Ray

<table id="post779815" class="tborder2" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="font-weight: normal;">

post_old.gif July 30th, 2010 </td> <td class="thead" style="font-weight: normal;" align="right"> #2 </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td width="175"> Hupp36

</td> <td class="alt3" id="td_post_779815"> Re: 31 Steering Wheel Removal

<hr style="" size="1"> The nut is a right hand thread. Lefty loosen, righty tighty. After removing the nut that holds the wheel on, spray some penertrating oil around the main shaft. Yes you will need a wheel puller. Use a split type that goes around the steering wheel colum and slides up under the steering wheel. DO NOT pull on any part of the bakelight sterring wheel as it will crack or brake. Straddle the center of the wheel and turn the wheel pullers center bolt to the right aiming it at the center of the shaft that holds the steering wheel on. Increase the tension on the screw in steps. Tap the center bolt on the steering puller after each time you increase the tension. I can not tell you how much tension to apply to the center bolt as I have never measured it. I guess its a sense of feel. Good Luck

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Guest 1hooligan

Air flow, Hupp was very correct on his response. The only thing that should be added it is a three day job. First day remove steering wheel nut and spray the oil with gusto on the top of the shaft, let sit. The second day turn the wheel 180 degrees, and spray again, let sit. The third day try to remove. put the nut back on at least four threads, tap.......patience, DO NOT FORCE IT. This has worked for me more than once. Regards, and good luck, Pat

Guest 34Airflow

Johan, I've made one, but the steering wheel still wasn't moving, so I thought

I would try and see if maybe some out there had the real thing.

Snopak, I eyeballed my bearing splitter when we first started to try and remove the steering wheel, but could not come up with a way to rig it up to the wheel.

1hooligan, I will have to remount up the puller I made and give it another try. Have been spraying it down several times a day for a week.

Thanks for all your responses

Ray

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...