Leaf Spring Restoration

MochetVelo

I have the leaf springs from my 1913 Metz de-rusted and primed, but wonder what the best course is next. I've heard three ways:

1) Paint all the spring leaves separately (in my case Metz blue) and grease them before assembly.

2) Apply graphite spray (like Slip Lube), assemble leaves, then paint when together.

3) Don't even finish leaves where they touch; this acts to dampen their movement (too late for me to do this one).

Phil

I would paint them separately but only 2 thin coats. Too much paint will crack.

Do you have shock absorbers? You can make the springs work easier and smoother by putting strips of nylon between the leaves. Hot rod shops sell the material.

Some cars with no shocks depended on interleaf friction to damp out the springs. They even put one leaf in upside down to increase friction.

My vote is epoxy prime each leaf as a separate component. This gives you good rust protect. Should keep the rust wash out down for a long time. I would then assemble them into a complete unit. Scuff the outside of the springs to make sure you have a good mechanical bond. Apply another coat of the epoxy primer and then go right into paint when the primer is set for top coat. Do not get carried away with the paint. Only enough to do the job not dripping off.

For you to invest in paint between leafs is a waste of material. The ability to assemble each leaf if they were painted first without chipping or damaging them would be a real trick.

Guest billybird

I used 2 coats of PPG DP90 epoxy primer; 2 coats of Bill Heirsh chassis black paint and assembled with powdered graphite between each leaf. 15 years, looks great. The car is a show car that is driven some, but never in the rain.

I have individual leafs Teflon coated in semi-gloss black. It lasts forever and doesn't chip or crack.

Even if the surface is rough the springs will work smoothly, much like two blocks of ice together

Further the springs don't heat and change rate. This allows shock rates to be set and left ..... this really helps cars with one-way acting shocks