radiator rebuild

Guest nickdaytona

Guest nickdaytona

took my 4 core rad to the rad shop this morning due to 1 end fin needing to be spot welded at the top ( the rad was tight otherwise even under pressure). I was told that it needed a complete rebuild to the tune of $450. Ouch ! So, where to get a new one? shouldn't be much more than that , right?

Thanks !

NIck,

Sounds high to me, but I haven't had a radiator rebuilt in some time. As long as you're rebuilding yours, why not go all the way. Have your tanks soldered to a new aluminum 4-core unit. A little black radiator paint and no one will know. You'll have a 'cool' ride.

Ed

Guest Rob J

That sounds too high to me. Shop around. There is a local shop here that's been doing it for years. You should have to pay $250-$300 if you ask me.

Guest nickdaytona

The current rad is a 4 core so , yes a 4 core it will be. I'm awaiting a new 5 blade water pump so I'll need a huge rad.

The price to recore radiators has risen dramatically in the last few years. Perhaps it has to do with a rise in price of the core itself? I have been quoted prices in the $400.00 range by the shops in my area which are reasonable shops and I have been using for years.

If you check online, like Ebay, you may find a much more reasonable, but non-stock appearing, alternative in aluminum

If the core itself is not rotten but just plugged it is possible to remove one of the tanks, rod out the tubes and re-assemble the radiator. Believe it or not, I had this done 3 years ago to an ORIGINAL `65 radiator and it has held up well, no more overheating, no leaks. I didn`t expect to drive the car across country, although I would, and wanted to retain as many of the original components as possible.

Most rad shops will shy away from this but most , if they have workers that can actually solder, will do it without any guarantee.

Regarding concerns about the 5 impeller pump and flow...the rad will not be the choking point, the thermostat will...unless you plan to remove it. Even then, I dont see it as an issue,

Tom Mooney

Guest nickdaytona

My rad is clear and seems to be clog free , it just has the end diffuser off. I'm going to have it braised up and strapped . The cooling fins are tight enough that it should be OK.a $120 gamble, maybe, but worth a shot.

thanks for the info on the cooling capacity, Tom !

Guest u571

Hey Nick,this post is timely for me as I just had my radiator recored last week to the tune of $285.The shop used a new copper core painted black.I was concerned about the black finish on the top surface.The owner of the shop told me "we use radiator black and have for the last 30 years" I went back to the shop and another customers finished radiator did indeed look satin black.When I received the finished recore I was real disapointed with the quality of the finish which didnt look like the original paint was stripped to bare brass but rather poorly painted over.I later removed the paint and re-painted to my satisfaction.If I was to do this in the future I would ask more questions.When I assume things it always comes back to haunt me!Anyway Im happy to have my original radiator back and looking sharp.I hope my little story will help anyone doing the re-core thing.

Mark

Mark,

I'm curious about the paint you used. Did you find radiator paint locally? I've looked around here and can only find radiator paint at Eastwoods. I've never tried the regular paint you get at your local jobber because I know that it's too thick to allow heat transfer and it flakes off when it gets hot.

Ed

Guest u571

Hey Ed, Time will tell how my paint job holds up but I prepped with eastwood self etch primer and top coated with duplicolor low gloss black engine enamel. I only painted the brass top (tank?)as the copper fins were painted by the radiator shop and that part looks good.

As I said time will tell.

Guest nickdaytona

Ended up taking it across to the US to a Niagara Falls rad shop where Mike is going to strap it and seal it for $80. Works for me ! Mike said that it would be at least $400 to rebuild due to copper prices. gonna have it back by Friday.