Climate Control Help!

MarkV

My gut instinct is to say the fan rheostat. I found the one on my 93 Regal in the inside of the car, in the air duct, on the passengers side, practically at the floorboard. I cannot testify to the location on the Lesabre. Before looking for that I presume he tried running the fan motor with the engine off just to make sure it is not working?

Guest Jim_Edwards
My friend's mom has a 1994 Lesabre with the digital climate control. Anyway, cool air is coming out but, no fan, is there a module for the fan? or could it be the climate controller? If so, where are they located?

Not an expert on '94 LeSabres but if I were to guess it is the fan speed resistor module. On most cars from the '70s up it will be under the hood and probably near the receiver/dryer or where the refrigerant lines enter the firewall and/or plenum.

Jim

Guest my3buicks

Sounds silly, but locate the area the fan is and give it a swift kick or hit when it should be running, it may just come on. We did that with our Cadillac for some time, it would do the same thing, we would give it a light kick and it would work for weeks. Finally bought a new fan and it was a 15 minute repair.

GM used a fan control module on that vintage of cars that had automatic air (where you set the temp and the system maintaines the temp).

The unit is located in the ductwork on the engine side. I will post a picture of the location on a Reatta and suspect it will be similar. The common failure mode for these modules is the fan will not shut off, even when you turn off the key. However, they will also fail the other way. Before buying one, pull the lead on the fan motor and give it 12V to confirm it is not a fan problem.

An additional problem on some of these cars is the control unit inside the car. Sometimes the buttons will not work. If it is in HEAT you may not be able to move it to COOL, sometime the fan control will not work. They can be taken apart and cleaned and function fine.

post-30596-143138525985_thumb.jpg