Any help Would Be greatly Appreciated

Guest Jimmycee

Guest Jimmycee

My son just bought 3 Chrysler TC's by Maserati the man he bought them from said after delivering them he forgot the titles and he would bring them back the next day but didn't and Now we can't get in touch with him and are wondering what to do or how to get Titles for them. One has an emblem on the console that says Made in Italy Expressly for THE THOMPSON GROUP 89-1474 we wish we knew who that is or was,the other is not in that great of shape but we will be trying to restore both,we also have a parts car that went up on fire so alot of the front end is damaged but still lots of good parts. This is my Sons first car and we are really hoping that we can get the rightful titles somehow. He tells me there were only 73000 made? Could that be correct? The Burgandy one he has has a sticker that says car was produced for California only under the hood. any help would be greatly appreciated.I have restored 3 Chrysler Lebaron's as a hobby a 93 Lebaron, a 94 Lebaron GTC and a 94 LX. All Convertibles Great for Florida Weather...

Thank you sincerely .... Jim Clarke

Guest YellowBird

P.T. Barnum said..... nevermind.

Curious why you as a father, would allow money to change hands based on the promises of an unknown person. I would have withheld payment until the seller was able to provide the paperwork.

Granted, I've bought cars without titles but they were pretty much only good for scrap OR I knew the seller, etc. And price represented the circumstances.

At this point, might be of your best interest to act quickly. Did you see the cars at the seller's home or place of business? If so, then who is the property owned by? That is a matter of public record. And/or send me a PM with the seller's contact info as you know it, name, phone number, email, etc. I'm pretty good at tracking persons and will see what I can find out.

And/or depending on the circumstances, it might be prudent to get the authorities involved to remind the seller of his obligation to provide you (your son) the buyers with documentation.

I agree with YellowBird. It sounds like you need some legal assistance for this. The gentleman may not have even had titles for them, they may not have been his to sell, he may have had leins against them and thus the titles are not clear. There are a number of scenarios and, to be honest, none of them sound positive at this point.

Hate to say this but without some legal assistance you may have bought three useless cars that you do not have the legal right to resale since you do not have titles. In other words, you may have just dropped a load of money with nothing to show for it. I call this "Stupid Tax" - no offense towards you as we have all made some sort of mistake that has cost us $$ so we just have to live and learn. Turst me, I have paid my fair share of stupid tax over the years.

Lesson to learn? NEVER, I repeat NEVER pay for a car until the title has been verified and signed over to you.

Good luck

Do you have possession of the cars? I guess that's half the battle. It's a fairly common scam to sell cars on the internet that you don't own, and most scammers just hope to land a deposit then vanish. This seems like taking it to the next level.

I would contact the authorities and see about tracking the VIN on all three cars--it's possible that you bought stolen cars. Or, since one was burned, they may be part of an insurance settlement somewhere else. Or the cars were impounded/repossessed and the guy simply removed them from a lot and brought them to you and took your money. There are a million possible scenarios, none of them good. Nobody just "forgets" to bring titles on a deal like this, there's something fishy afoot, and it doesn't smell good for you, I'm afraid.

Call the cops, get them to track the VIN on all the cars and start there.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)