1954 Chrysler 'Show Car'

Guest Koolstude

Guest Koolstude

I have a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country, and attached to the chassis plate under the hood is a tag with the words 'Show Car' stamped into it. Does any one know what this indicates?

I've heard that Chrysler possibly made a number of 'Show Cars' around this era which they took to Auto Shows for promotional purposes. Would this be correct?

post-49056-143138507939_thumb.jpg

Chrysler did make a number of show cars around this time. Chrysler's efforts were generally street legal unlike those of their rivals and many were sold and are still around.

There were 2 kinds, one kind with one off bodies made in Italy, others were modified standard models with special trim, paint jobs, and custom modifications.

There may be a 3d category. Show finish meaning catalog models specially prepared for car shows with every detail perfect and optioned to the nines. I can't say for sure if Chrysler made such cars but I know other car makers did.

If you provided some photographs or details I'm sure the Chrysler mavens could figure out what you have. Focus on upholstery, options, and special body mods as well as full car pictures.

Here are some examples of Chrysler show cars from 1954.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1954/specs.htm

More on Le Comte and La Comtesse show cars.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1955-1956-dodge-la-femme1.htm

Show cars of this type are well publicised. If you have one it should be possible to document its authenticity.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Koolstude

It doesn't look as if mine is anything that special with body mods, fancy paint or options. It is in need of restoration, and the 331ci Hemi & trans have been robbed at some point.

post-49056-143138509146_thumb.jpg

post-49056-143138509148_thumb.jpg

post-49056-14313850915_thumb.jpg

post-49056-143138509152_thumb.jpg

post-49056-143138509154_thumb.jpg

post-49056-143138509156_thumb.jpg

Well if it was a special finish show model that was a long time ago. The bloom seems to be off the rose.

I would like that car myself. It could be made into a neat looking and useful old car even if you had to substitute a 318 or 360 V8 for the original. When they are that far gone I don't think there is any harm in modernizing especially if the alternative is crushing.

Well if it was a special finish show model that was a long time ago. The bloom seems to be off the rose.

I would like that car myself. It could be made into a neat looking and useful old car even if you had to substitute a 318 or 360 V8 for the original. When they are that far gone I don't think there is any harm in modernizing especially if the alternative is crushing.

I am an unapologetic fan of these wagons. A relative had one in the 60s, and I never forgot that car - owned one myself for nine years, sold it in 1999. I found it to be a most enjoyable car to use and drive. The two biggest negatives for me were the gas mileage and brakes. Another downer was the lack of acknowledgment from car show patrons. Most people just walk by and don't give them a second look. They're a big car, don't have the appeal of a smaller Ford, Chevy or Plymouth, although I did have many people mistake it for a Plymouth.

This was a plush wagon in 1954.

Als54Chryslerwagon05.jpg

Als54Chryslerwagon01.jpg

Als54Chryslerwagon03.jpg

Edited by 54nuyorkrwagon (see edit history)

Guest Koolstude

Yes, I love these old wagons - very cool. I intend to update it a bit with a more modern Mopar engine; probably a small block so I get reasonable gas mileage.

The brakes will have to be done as well. But it'll be kept all Mopar.

I've been collecting parts gradually over the past 2 years.

Unfortunately, 'Nuyorkwagon', most people are only drawn to either Ford or Chevy's & don't consider anything else. But their rarity is making them very valuable; just look at the Hemi Challenger's & 'Cuda prices.

The wagon you had looks in great condition.

I was wondering if I got a VIN Decode done by Chrysler Heritage, this would enlighten me what this 'Show Car' tag was for?

Unfortunately, 'Nuyorkwagon', most people are only drawn to either Ford or Chevy's & don't consider anything else. But their rarity is making them very valuable; just look at the Hemi Challenger's & 'Cuda prices.

The wagon you had looks in great condition.

I'm not sure that you can compare the relative rarity of Hemi Challengers & Cudas with these wagons. Park a Challenger or Cuda at a car show and either will be covered up with admirers in a very short time.

There are far fewer collectors that are interested in vehicles like this. Challengers and Cudas were enormously popular and sold extremely well when they were new. These wagons, as pointed out in an earlier post, were not commonly seen when new. 1100 New Yorkers and I'm not exactly sure about the number of Windsors, which were six-cylinder vehicles. These were big, cushy grocery haulers with somewhat limited appeal. I cannot tell you how many people have told me they have never seen one.

Do not - repeat - DO NOT - be fooled by any outrageous values you may see published for these cars in notably optimistic price guides, such as OCPG. I love these cars and always will - but, they have never had much of a following. The Town & Country models of the 1940's were wood-bodied sedans and convertibles, and they are highly collectable. The 1950 T & C Hardtop was the last wood-bodied model, unless you count the "K" cars of the 1980's. The Town & County model for 1951 was a steel-bodied station wagon - in the eyes of many, this was a significant downgrade. To many, the styling of all 1949-54 models is uninspired and boring. Virgil Exner's 1955 styling direction was a major improvement and values reflect that.

Well, I could go on - but, you've got a neat car there. I would urge you to be cautious about pouring money into it if you're thinking about doing any sort of resto-mod for the purpose of making money on it.

Guest Koolstude

Yes, point taken on the Challengers & 'Cudas.

No I'm not in it to make money. I'll just give it a mild running gear update, an interior & eventually a respray; and then use it.

Ps,

I have 4 wheel disc brakes on it. Including a steet rod floor mounted street rod power brake booster that fits in the same place the original did. the brakes are fantastic. I fabricated a backing plate for the front, and used chevrolet calipers, etc for the front. i bought a rear disc brake kit for a Dodge pick up for the rear. { I forget where I got it}It uses a Cadillac rear parking brake system. I had rear axles made to keep the original wide bolt pattern. Keep in mind, the rear is also from the 69 road runner,

JB

Edited by John baker (see edit history)

Koolstude: I for one like the car a lot from the pictures posted and see the potential but then again I do have an affliction towards station wagons.

54nuyorkrwagon: I love the car you had owned and would have been proud to have owned it.

And in general although my head and heart is in the factory original examples I can still see and appricate a clean modified car. I myself would do my homework on seeing what in total it would take to put the car back the way it was and if the time/cost exceeded an amount I felt comfortable with I could see the modern drive train added. I too though do most all work on my own which may impact cost differences. Best of luck with your wagon. Scott...

Guest Koolstude

I've stumbled across your Desoto before on that website John; & I just love it.

A lot of hard work has got into that.

I want to share my '54 Desoto wagon with you. Check out this site

Car of the Month, October 2009: John Baker's 1954 Desoto Estate Wagon

thanks,

John B.

Not to hijack Koolstude's thread here - but, John, that DeSoto of yours is one sweet ride. Beautiful car, you've done a great job on that thing. I've seen photos of that one before; I have some of them on my screensaver. As I was scrolling over the pics and reading about your resto, I believe I saw it mentioned that your DeSoto has power windows. Is that correct? Wow, that has to be a rare option. I have only seen ONE other wagon of this style with power windows. I traveled with a relative to an area outslde Atlanta about 15 years ago to look at another 54 New Yorker wagon. It was in pretty sad shape, engine & tranny gone, but the car did have factory power windows. Another rare factory option it had was the accessory third seat - it even matched the blue & white factory upholstery.

To be honest, I believe that I prefer the DeSoto over the Chrysler now - much nicer looking grill, and I believe that I also prefer the DeSoto instrument panel.

As much as I loved the Chrysler I had, I think the only way I would want to own one again would be a resto-mod such as yours. Much safer with the disc brakes. These are heavy cars - you need to be able to bring them to a halt.

Guest Bob Call

Koolstude

There are lots of 54 and 55 331 ci hemi engines around as well as 56 and later 354 ci. I would get one of those as it bolts right in and no hassels like trying to adapt a later model Mopar engine. And, I would think to most old car people the early hemi would be preferred to the later small block. BTW the early hemi is a small block, lots of parts will interchange. The dual rocker shaft heads are what makes it and elephant.

Koolstude

There are lots of 54 and 55 331 ci hemi engines around as well as 56 and later 354 ci. I would get one of those as it bolts right in and no hassels like trying to adapt a later model Mopar engine. And, I would think to most old car people the early hemi would be preferred to the later small block. BTW the early hemi is a small block, lots of parts will interchange. The dual rocker shaft heads are what makes it and elephant.

I say a big AMEN to Bob's advise. I was using what I had on hand. otherwise I would have done just what he said.

JB