1914 Packard Questons

multiscepter

Hello All,

On a recent trip to Death Valley I spotted a 1914 Packard and was told some interesting information, can someone confirm or set the record straight?

1) I was told that this was only one of four in existence. Is this true?

2) I noticed a single gas powered left taillight, either the right taillight was removed or never featured. I was told that the generator was underpowered giving rise to only electric headlights, and a gas taillight. Thoughts?

3) I noticed only one brake, front right. Why not on any of the other wheels?

Thanks,

Multiscepter

1) This is impossible to say for sure. It could be only 4 are known to the Packard club. But that does not mean there are no others stashed away.

2) Cars back then usually had 1 tail light with a built in license plate light. No turn signals. Don't know why they used a gas tail light, some cars had headlights and tail lights powered by acetylene gas back then but normally would have all gas or all electric equipment.

3) Before 1921 cars only had brakes on the back wheels. What you saw on the front wheel may have been a gear to drive the speedometer.

According to the Packard Roster, which is incredibly accurate, there are 22 1914 Packards of all models. This roster is kept by John Grundy and Tim Martin and it is considered to be on a par with the Dusenberg roster.

As for the car you saw, the left rear tail light, there would only be one, would have been kerosene. Your comment about the brakes is confusing since there were no front wheel brakes then, perhaps you saw the speedometer drive. There were rear brakes only.

Everyone,

Thanks for the information. The next time I'm in Death Valley I hope to pass this information onto the gentlemen tending the stables. I will double check the rear wheels for the brakes and the front right for the speedometer. In closing, I also noticed some unusual contraption on the steering wheel, any thoughts?