Need advice - finally restoring 1957 Buick 46C

SLP5357

Dan and SupRiv56R,

SupRiv56, in your post you indicated that your dash is black / ivory? My dash is black and light gray, and I am perplexed because all of the paint information from the factory and the paint suppliers do not list ivory as an interior color. I find that interesting because my interior is the 471 interior, grey cloth with black and ivory cordaveen. My car is an original 18K mile car, with updating as necessary, but has the original paint on the steering column / trans selector piece and it is not ivory, but a light gray with a slightly greenish almost tint.

Any ideas or insight would be truly appreciated!

post-65800-143138571484_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138571494_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138571503_thumb.jpg

Guest SupRiv56R

Hi Jim. I have also noted the Black/Ivory interior missing from the various charts over the years. You do see it mentioned in the ads, and when SMS sent me some samples it was shown on a copy of the chart they had. I can't recall the source I referenced years ago to verify the codes on the trim plate, but I'm fairly certain (it has been a l-o-n-g time!) the source identified the interior trim (seats) as Black Cloth/Ivory Cordaveen and the SMS chart verifies the padded dash (U/L) as black, dash panel as Ivory and steering wheel as Ivory. Hope this helps. BTW, the Ivory paint on the dash is VERY tough to match. The ashtrays on my car were in bad shape (major paint loss on both) and I have been trying in vain to match them with something "off the shelf" so as to avoid buying a gallon of the stuff. It's not really white, off-white or gray or anything else. It's a very nice, rich color and has some depth to it, but has been impossible to come even close to matching.

Hi Jim. I have also noted the Black/Ivory interior missing from the various charts over the years. You do see it mentioned in the ads, and when SMS sent me some samples it was shown on a copy of the chart they had. I can't recall the source I referenced years ago to verify the codes on the trim plate, but I'm fairly certain (it has been a l-o-n-g time!) the source identified the interior trim (seats) as Black Cloth/Ivory Cordaveen and the SMS chart verifies the padded dash (U/L) as black, dash panel as Ivory and steering wheel as Ivory. Hope this helps. BTW, the Ivory paint on the dash is VERY tough to match. The ashtrays on my car were in bad shape (major paint loss on both) and I have been trying in vain to match them with something "off the shelf" so as to avoid buying a gallon of the stuff. It's not really white, off-white or gray or anything else. It's a very nice, rich color and has some depth to it, but has been impossible to come even close to matching.

Ford wimbledon white is close enough for a complete repaint, but short of a custom mix nothing will match your existing paint.

Guest SupRiv56R

Thanks for the tip. I think I have probable tried every other color that was even close. (but no cee-gar). Whatever I tried last is pretty close. Except for the ashtrays, the rest of the paint is fine. On the upper black portion, much of the paint was already peeled off, especially around the heater controls. I blamed this on the fact that was is no sign of any primer over the base metal they used.

SupRiv56R, I had to have the paint matched by the local Painter's Supply (Automotive Paint Store). Cost a pretty penny for a pint ($115) made 3 pints, but it was a perfect match to the original paint. My IP was pretty badly scratched up as well as the center trim. Repainted it and it looks great!

In response to the Ivory paint, it is listed in the Buick Paint and Trim Options Book ( the one that I have attached). The interesting thing is that it does not have a DUCO or DuPont Paint code attached to it, which it should, if it was a standard color. I am wondering if it was a late add to the paint charts (late 57?) or that the styling guys put it in the book, but forgot to add it to the paint chip / code charts. And to add more confusion, the light gray paint is not mentioned in the book as a lower IP color??

Just some thoughts.

post-65800-143138571882_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138571892_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1957buickjim (see edit history)