1927 Studebaker Timing

Guest studeNZ

Guest studeNZ

Hi,

I'd like to know the timing curve for our 1927 Studebaker Dictator. Also is there a correct method for adjusting the Stromberg Carb.

We are also looking for at least 3 good wheel rims.

Cheers.

post-68684-143138504436_thumb.jpg

Guest studeNZ
I have several wheel rims but I'm not sure which models they are from. With a photo and some dimensions I might be able to help you out.

Scott

smrdeza@power-net.net

They're 21inch x 4.5inch wide and the two inner ribs are 2inch apart and different in height. They fit the Disk wheel and the car is the 1927 EU-W Standard

post-68684-14313850553_thumb.jpg

post-68684-143138505547_thumb.jpg

Guest studeNZ
Wagner or Remy ignition? Wagner has no manual spark lever, Remy has one on the dash board in front of the steering column.

Terry

Hi the engine I have has a Wagner andI'd like to check its advancing correctly thru the rev range.

Guest studeNZ
That looks to be a panel delivery. how about some more pics. I am really interested to see more. I am building a ER Panel delivery at the moment.

Dave...

Sorry, after looking into it I found out it was a 5 passenger custom sedan, EU-W. It had been converted to a butchers van as you could see the hoof marks on the deck. It had been used as a paddock hack in the end and was in a bad state so the van body had to go. Will look to make it into a colonial flat deck truck

post-68684-143138505564_thumb.jpg

post-68684-143138505582_thumb.jpg

post-68684-143138505598_thumb.jpg

Edited by studeNZ (see edit history)

Guest studeNZ
I remember looking at this one in Yaldhurst a few years ago. Good to see someone has got hold of it.

So far we have the chassis and axles together again, but finding servicable rims is differcult, would like to get the chassis rolling.

Guest studeNZ
Are you a VCC member? An ad in Beaded Wheels would be good start. Which part of the country are you in? I know of one of those disc wheel Studes in the Canterbury area (I think). I don't know its owner but I could find out.

yes, have been a member since 2001. Tried the Beaded Wheels but no luck. I know there is someone in Geraldine to visit, and heard there is one near Darfield. Might be the same person your thinking of? The person in Geraldine puts alot on Trade me.

yes, have been a member since 2001. Tried the Beaded Wheels but no luck. I know there is someone in Geraldine to visit, and heard there is one near Darfield. Might be the same person your thinking of? The person in Geraldine puts alot on Trade me.

The car I am thinking of is a blue sedan with black guards. I have seen it at a couple Studebaker Drivers Club conventions. Your VCC branch secretary should have a copy of the VCC membership list on disc - might give you a clue to where there are more of these. Try another ad in Beaded Wheels - at least it is free. Unfortunately I think those wheels - and maybe the rims - are unique to that year and model. There was no option of wood or wire wheels until the following year model.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Hi the engine I have has a Wagner andI'd like to check its advancing correctly thru the rev range.

You probably have already done this much already but I'll run through it anyway. To time the engine:

Remove #1 spark plug. With your thumb over the spark plug hole, turn engine until compression is felt. Continue to turn until UP DC 1-6 on the flywheel is under the pointer on right side of engine. Loosen the screw in the centre of the cam and pry it up. Turn the cam CCW until rotor edge is just under #1 plug wire terminal in the dist cap. Tighten the lock screw.

I would think that advance curve info is probably hard to come by, particularly for Wagner. Keep in mind that this engine develops its maximum horsepower (50) at just 2200 rpm, meaning that the distributor is turning at 1100. To determine the curve will probably mean having to run it in a distributor testing machine if one is available.

Terry

Guest studeNZ
You probably have already done this much already but I'll run through it anyway. To time the engine:

Remove #1 spark plug. With your thumb over the spark plug hole, turn engine until compression is felt. Continue to turn until UP DC 1-6 on the flywheel is under the pointer on right side of engine. Loosen the screw in the centre of the cam and pry it up. Turn the cam CCW until rotor edge is just under #1 plug wire terminal in the dist cap. Tighten the lock screw.

I would think that advance curve info is probably hard to come by, particularly for Wagner. Keep in mind that this engine develops its maximum horsepower (50) at just 2200 rpm, meaning that the distributor is turning at 1100. To determine the curve will probably mean having to run it in a distributor testing machine if one is available.

Terry

Thanks Terry, that was very helpful.

Is the UP DC 1-6 mark the same as top dead centre?

When starting the engine, should it be at TDC or have some advance?

Using a timing light, what should the advance be at idle and 2200rpm?

That would give me a clue if the distributor is working.

Sorry to many questions:o

Gordon

Thanks Terry, that was very helpful.

Is the UP DC 1-6 mark the same as top dead centre?

When starting the engine, should it be at TDC or have some advance?

Using a timing light, what should the advance be at idle and 2200rpm?

That would give me a clue if the distributor is working.

Sorry to many questions:o

Gordon[/quote

Yes, UP DC 1-6 is TDC. Since the engine is timed to that mark, it is reasonable to assume that the spark occurs at TDC when starting the engine. I would think that there is little advance if any at idle. You would need a timing light with an advance dial on it. I don't know if a 6 volt version is available. Use a tach with a standard timing light and see how smoothgly it advances and if there is anything beyond 2200 rpm. Not having a manual spark lever is a bit inconvenient. Probably one of the reasons Studebaker dropped it.

There are never too many questions! :)

Forgot to mention that there is a small pointer and advance/retard scale inside the distributor which provides a small amount of timing fine tuning.

Terry

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)