1937 D5 Features

One and all,

Hello. I have a '37 Dodge with mounting for the driver-side mirror, but not the passenger-side. I've seen dodge photos with two side mirrors and some with no side mirrors. Also, I've seen Dodge photos with wipers on the driver-side and on both driver and passenger sides. Were these items special feature? My guess would be that the driver side wiper was a standard feature. Finally, my shop manual reproduction discusses mohair, broadcloth, leather, and imitation leather care. Were all these used in a production line vehicle or was one standard and the others optional? If anyone has a picture or two of the use of these materials in the 37 D5 would you please post?

Thank you.

Multiscepter

There were no outside rearview mirrors available on the 1937 Dodge Brothers cars from the factory. Some trucks came with them as an option. I believe that they were an option starting in 1949 or 1950. There was one wiper available as standard and a second wiper was an option. I could be wrong, but this is what I have been able to determine since owning a 1936 DB sedan years ago.

Often the "standard" model came with 1 ws wiper and the "deluxe" came with 2. Don't know specifically about the 1937 Dodge but this was often the case with low priced cars in the 30s. Money was scarce and most car makers offered a budget model. You would not believe how stripped down some of them were.

Keiser31 and Rusty_OToole,

Thank you both for the information. In the near future I will post pictures of the upholstery for comments. Although I don't know what mohair upholstery looks like I'm guessing it takes on a carpet appearance. My lower door panels and the lower back of the front seat has what looks like carpet for trim. Elsewhere I have what I think is broadcloth. This would be a good thing given the high price of mohair etc.. Again thank you.

Mohair is like a fur with short hair. It was used on upholstery for many years, then I guess Moe ran out of hair.

The different kinds of upholstery were for different models. Open cars got leather upholstery because it was not so easily damaged by water. If it accidentally got wet you could wipe it off. Broadcloth or mohair for closed cars. Deluxe upholstery might get a band of artificial leather along the top and bottom edge, where the seat was prone to wear. Sort of like those English tweed jackets with leather cuffs and elbow patches.

Cost probably had something to do with it. If mohair was cheaper than broadcloth they would use it on the lower priced models.

Rusty gave a more complete and better answer. Interestingly, my two 1931 Dodge Brothers business coupes were ordered exactly the same right down to the colors and wheels except for the upholstery. One has mohair and the other has broadcloth.

All,

First, thanks for the great comments. Enclosed are select photos of very weathered upholstery. Some shots resemble plain ole cloth, could this be broadcloth? Other pieces, especially those that were somewhat protected from the sun, resemble velvet (at least that is what comes to mind). Would this be broadcloth in a somewhat better condition? Complicating everything is the fine layer of dust, when brushed away I'm sure original fabricate is being removed leaving only the cloth looking base. From the comments submitted so far I'm thinking that the "carpet" looking trim on the lower door panel and the backside of the front seat to be mohair? Your comments are welcome and if anyone has photos of upholstery with a positive identification please post. Thank you.

Multiscepter

post-72128-143138504322_thumb.jpg

post-72128-143138504325_thumb.jpg

post-72128-143138504326_thumb.jpg

post-72128-143138504329_thumb.jpg

post-72128-143138504331_thumb.jpg

post-72128-143138504332_thumb.jpg

If you take the seats out there is usually a piece tucked underneath that is not so worn and weathered. Yes the velvet like stuff is mohair. Yikes it is expensive, no wonder they stopped using it on cheap cars. It takes 5 or 6 yards to upholster a car. But a modern synthetic mohair made for cars will wear forever.

Guest Knucklebuster

Maybe its just me but if a judge gigged you for not having 73+ year old upholestry then I would either....

Suggest you will buy it if he will run back to '37 and pick it up.

Or

Suggest he find a new job judging the cow chip flinging contest.

Rusty_OToole,

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look under the front seat. Although my main goal is to have a functional car someday if I do decide to make a show would the synthetic mohair result in any point reductions?

That I don't know. There must be some one around who knows these things, is there a board for show judges questions?

A majority of the original type fabric ( alot of prints are not ) are still avail but it is at a premium cost, if a person isnt willing or dosent have the money to spend to get this correct material for his SHOW car than he must be carefull where he shows it. Your local burger joint car show isnt going to deduct points for having shag carpet on your headliner versus mohair ( they might even give you a plaque ) Pebble Beech on the other hand might throw you out on your nose.

I am sure AACA has VERY CLEAR writtem guidlines on what they expect if you were to show your car at one of their meets as well as most any other organized venue.

I personally dont have any interest whatsoever of ever showing my car at any meet where it will be judged, for one reason, I dont know of any man that knows every little detail about all cars he is judging so the first second he were to start pointing to faults on my car I would prob. punch him in the nose and go to jail. :eek:

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
Guest 1isenuff

Hi, I know this is an older thread but---regarding the upholstery. I restored my 37 ply 35 years ago with original Belgium mohair. Mohair is wool. Now I am restoring my car again ( something one just has to do every so many decades) and I refuse to use wool. There is just no way to keep the moths out, unless you use ten boxes of moth balls which severely dampers the driving experience. So I looked and looked for a suitable synthetic and FINALLY I found the absolute perfect match. It's extremely durable,thick nap,right color (taupe) and its synthetic (am I sounding like a salesman here).Anyway I managed to get it wholesale, you just have to be creative to get that price.My seat only lasted about 5 years before the moths started attacking(that would be the car's seat), first noticed as little bare patches, I sprayed, bombed and then another little bare spot on the door panel, so no more wool mohair, let me know if you need more info. cheers