How does this ram come apart?

keiser31

Anyone out there in Dodgeland ever remove one of the faces from a ram cap? I want to replace the face, but do not want to destroy the base when removing the old, broken face.

post-37352-143138498839_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138498848_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138498856_thumb.jpg

I was told by a couple of old Dodge men a few years ago that the head slides off from the chin up off the body. You do this by putting a flat screwdiver blade on the rams knees and gently prying the head straight up and off in the direction of the lines that you see therre. I have a couple with the head off and see that it is a reasonable method because there are "tracks" on each side of the body to allow this. I'd soak it in a penetrating oil for a little while first to make sure it will not resist to the movement. I've never done it, and I've never seen heads for sale anywhere. The purpose of the removable head was to replace them when gas station people and others twisted the ram cap off by the horns and broke them off.

Larry

Good luck with that one! You know Dodge used these same mascots for 3 years ,'32-34 and on trucks - I think the trucks were the same, maybe some variation in the base - but they all had replaceable heads. Somebody somewhere has to have a whole box of these heads, but I've never even seen one for sale anywhere. Those mascots without replaceable heads were aftermarket 1 piece castings.

Larry

The chrome plater removed the face off mine on my 36 to replate the base. He used a screwdriver carefully to pry on the sides of the face. It took a few minutes of working both sides and it was done.

Guest DodgeKCL

The ram cap was the same as the car one right through 1933 to 1935 on all 1/2 ton Commercial Cars,humpbacks,pickups etc. I never did find an original with the removable head that I thought I could afford to put on my truck but did find one of those one piece chromed repros for $70 on a flea market table a few years back. The repros are also made of much stronger stuff but thickly chromed and less detail than the originals. Cheap or not I'll still remove it when I'm not around the truck though.