1941 buick

Guest 21jimmie

Guest 21jimmie

I Have A 1941 Buick Special That Has Been Storied In A Buick Show Room For 30 Years. The Car Has Not Been Cranked In 30 Years. THe Motor May Or Not Be Stuck.. What Should I Do Before Trying To Start The Car.

Many Thanks For Any INformation You May Give Me 3-24-11 21JIMMIE

Jimmie, what a find!

I think, first of all, what does it look like. By this I mean, is the engine clean? Is the whole car clean? Was it running when put away? If yes to all, then I would first attempt to turn the engine by hand. If this happens, then change the oil, fresh gas and go for it.

Ben

I agree with Ben, although I would take a look at the oil and possibly change it out first before attempting to move it.

If it hasn't been touched at all, you would want to remove spark plugs and squirt a bit of oil (motor oil, diesel fuel, Marvel Mystery Oil - different folks have different methods) in each cylinder and let it soak for a day or two.

If it is hard / impossible to turn by hand, removing the spark plugs will eliminate compression...I don't recall if I've moved my 248 by hand, so I can't say how hard it should be.

What model? Pictures? Does it have compound carburetion (2 carbs)?

It's good to hear they are still out there like that....

Guest 21jimmie

Thanks Ben You Made My Day. The Car Is In Beautiful Condition. The Headliner , Door Panels And Headliner Were Replaced Many Years Ago. Your Information Was Good, But I Would Like To Here From Some Other Folks. Hopefully I Will Get Some Other Coments.

3-26-11 HAVE A GOOD DAY: 21jimmie

The gas tank should be removed and hot tanked to clean it of the old gas that is probably solid chunks. You could get it running with a small auxiliary tank and fresh gas. I would change oil and coolant and crank it without trying to start it to build up oil pressure first.

My 51 Ford had set for 27 years in a garage and was started on a lawnmower tank of fresh gas. The gas tank was full of black chunks of what old gas becomes. The flathead V8 was smokey at first but after running it a while it stopped smoking and ran good.

Woddy has a good point. Disconnect the fuel line to the fuel pump. Chances are the diaphram is deteriorated/hardened/ and ready to break. I might even consider taking the fuel pump right off the engine before even cranking it by hand. No point dropping leather bits in the oil to be sucked into the oil pickup. Especially since these only had partial oil filters if so equipped.

And while I'm on it, you may want to look into pulling the valve cover and taking the rocker assembly off to clean the oil passages.