1967 Buick Skylark Tires

summercruiser

Hi. I have a '67 Skylark convertible that needs the tires replaced. I decided to find tires as close to the original equipment ones with the one mandate they be radials as I drive the car a lot. This is Ok as 1967 is the first year Buick offered radials. I did some research and it looks like these cars could be ordered with thin whitewall Uniroyal tires. A redline was also offered but appears to be a Firestone Wide Oval, which I don't want due to the lower profile. I'm looking for a size around 195-14 or 205-14 but the companies like Coker and Universal don't offer any Uniroyal radials in these sizes. Does anyone know where I can look for these tires, or if other brands were offered in 1967 that I can investigate? I was also told the the 1967 order sheet my identify the tire brand so if anyone has one of these that they can scan and send to me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

You'll also need to pay attention to P-Metric size designations as what was available back then were "normal" metric sizes. The "normal" metric size 195/75R-14 would be the equivalent of a 7.75x14 bias ply size, which replaced the prior 7.50x14 size, which became F78x14 later on. The "normal" 205x75R-14 would be the equivalent of an 8.25x14 size and the G78x14 size. Somewhere back then, the station wagons could have 8.55x14 tires, too, I believe, with a ply rating of greater than 4-ply.

Generally, when converting to P-metric, you'll need to add "10" to the size designation compared to the prior "normal" metric designations. That should, by my observations, keep the physical size of the newer tires approximately what that of the original bias-ply tires were--plus a more correct ride height dimension.

Generally, GM used UniRoyal tires back then, with possibly some Firestones, unless it was a performance car which could have had Goodyear Polyglass tires (white letters, as in G60x15 for the later Skylark GS models).

Although radials can enhance the ride and handling capabilities of the vehicle, we had pretty good results on bias ply tires back then . . . but then we didn't know any better back then. PLUS the rubber suspension bushings were in much newer condition back then as compared to what on the same cars now (i.e. "unaged" back then vs. "aged" for them now, unless they've been replaced). With decent care and inflation pressures in the 30psi range, they'd usually go 40K miles with not problems . . . but considering the price of repro bias ply tires these days, that still makes them pretty expensive.

Check Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and "Search by Tire Manufacturer" and "Uniroyal". You can probably still find some current-production Uniroyal TigerPaws radials in the P205/75R-14 or P215/75R-14 size. From there, you can either order them from them or check with a local dealer--your decision.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 4 years later...
Guest Barneys_Bud

I just picked up a 67 Skylark from it's original owner.  The book says that the tire should  be 7.75 X 14 however this car has a 205 75R 14.  These tires are available from Good Year and a number of other manufacturers.  When you go to the tire tables you will find that these tires have an outside diameter of about 26 inches plus or minus 2 to 3 tenths.  This is important if you want your speedometer to rest correctly.  I believe the 205 75R 14 is probably close to correct since the speedometer reads correctly.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

The original 7.75x14 replaced the prior 7.50x14.  The 7.75x14 then became F78x14 when the tire size nomenclature changed and "aspect ratio" was a part of the mix.  In the earlier radial cross-overs, radial 195x14, which then became P205/75R-14 in the current tire size nomenclature.  Also, 7.75" x 25.4mm = 192mm.

I might be wrong, but I believe that radials on Buicks in 1967 were only for the full-size cars, not across-the-board available.  I believe the Judging Manual can verify that?  Plus, I'm not aware of anybody that's repro-ing that particular tire -- a "Tiger Paw" radial, as I recall.

ONE thing about radial tires is that as the sidewall has "flex" designed into it, that means the car will sit slightly lower because of that, compared to a bias or bias-belted tire with "non-flex" sidewalls (at the correct inflation pressure).

NTX5467

Guest Barneys_Bud

I did not know there was a "Judging Manual".  I would like to see that since it may contain a great deal of the information I am looking for.

Anyone know where I can find one ?