Rear Control Arm Bushings for '65

kdml

I am about to order new rear control arm bushings from Rare Parts for my '65, as they appeared to have the best price. It looks like the upper and lower part numbers are the same. Can someone confirm that they are in fact the same part? In addition, I assume I need 6 in total - correct?

Thanks

I took a look at the Rare Parts site. You might want to use a vendor specializing in Buick parts. The rear control arm bushings are front and rear, just on the bottom, and four. The track bar bushings are different, two of those.

When you get around to the front, the lower inner bushings are a PIA. I made a special driver to remove and install mine.

I looked first at Cars Inc and their bushings were $675 for a kit (or $174/each), so I went to Rare Parts to save some dollars. Cars Inc's kit I believe only covered the lower arms. They did not list front and rear separately.

What about the upper control arm - is it the same part as the lower?

I spoke with Glen at Cars Inc and he indicated his kit covers upper and lower control arms. I asked him how come the description indicates 4 pairs of bushings he said that is for all 4 arms. My '65 only has a single upper arm?

I spoke with Glen at Cars Inc and he indicated his kit covers upper and lower control arms. I asked him how come the description indicates 4 pairs of bushings he said that is for all 4 arms. My '65 only has a single upper arm?

You are correct, the first gen Riv has 2 lower and one upper rear arm. Later model Rivs may have 4, IDK.

There are several parts suppliers that have screwed up the year range that their bushings fit. They extend them down to 1964, which is incorrect.

IDK anything about the kit sold by CARS.

The Rare Parts bushings are modified, as I recall, to fit the '63-'65 correctly. I have not had to change them out yet. You would need 6 of them. Are you sure they are bad, in need of replacement? The rear track bar bushings are the ones that usually go bad and give you a lot of handling improvement for not so much work.

• 6 months later...
Guest carlbraun

Doug

Go to Rare Parts...they have your bushings at the right price. Read my post on this subject and the blood, sweat, tears and $$$$$ spent on finding the right bushings while educating the guys at Cars, Inc and OPGI. I just did the same thing with the guys at inline tube and brake line hardware.

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/65-riv-gs-suspension-bushings-308159.html

Enjoy the read and a couple of photos of my rear end suspension work

HPIM3120.jpg

HPIM3119.jpg

HPIM3121.jpg

Edited by carlbraun (see edit history)

I did order all of my rear control arm bushings from Rare Parts. I have only installed the bushings on the single upper control arm. I was holding the lower bushings until I had a chance to box the lower control arms and figure out a option for a rear sway bar. Once I have that done I will install the lowers as well. At the rate I am progressing it might be a while